Thread: Totally irrational...but I have to be told

Totally irrational...but I have to be told

I understand that my fear may be totally irrational, but I think I need to hear or better read it from someone else.

I've asked my supervisor at Uni whether she would write me a reference for further study and she agreed. She submitted the references today, and I sent her an email to thank her which she hasn't yet replied to.

There is no reason why she would write me a bad review. I haven't been nasty or unreasonable or anything. I'm a First student. My anxiety probably stems from the fact that I'm applying for a programme for which I do not possess all the necessary qualifications. However, I got into this MSc without the relevant qualis.

Interestingly though writing this, I reckon my actual fear isn't the fact that she may have written a bad reference, but maybe has more to do with the insecurity that people won't believe I'm capable and hence reject me :-(

Any words of wisdom?
    Last edited by abif; 21-04-17 at 16:23.

Peru83 is offline Intermediate Member

Re: Totally irrational...but I have to be told

It's good that you recognise your insecurities and acknowledge they are most likely the root of this bout of anxiety.

You got into the course without the relevant qualifications, what does this actually tell you? This tells you that they felt your aptitude and drive were worth more. More often than not, having the ability and the right attitude will get you everywhere. As the training can be taught, personality and drive cannot. You clearly rock. this is not a bad thing, this is something to be totally happy and excited about.

Having anxiety sucks, and it heightens the feelings of self doubt that everyone has when it comes to achieving something that is important. Have faith in yourself, and the people who clearly feel you have the ability

Re: Totally irrational...but I have to be told

Jammie - words of wisdom! Just what I needed. Thanks so much for taking the time!

Thread Information