Thread: Anyone undergone a successful career change?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone undergone a successful career change?

I've always worked in the same industry, but after nearly 10 years I wanted to do something more meaningful to me, so I undertook study in a humanitarian/social services field. I graduated 3 months ago but have not had any luck getting into my new field as yet, which has had a big impact on my anxiety and also causing me to feel depressed. I feel like I'm back at square one in my life!

If anyone could offer any advice it would be much appreciated! x

Re: Anyone undergone a successful career change?

Hi citydeer

Well done graduating in your new chosen subject! Don't worry about it taking a bit of time to get the ball rolling, the job market is awful right now but perseverance is key!

While I'm too young to give any advice on changing careers I will say that my mother went back to college in her late 40s and it changed her life. She hated her old profession and switching careers was a big step but she's a much happier person now!

Hopefully some of our other members can give better advice but I wish you luck with your new career path!

Pregabalin 300mg

If you want to change and have the chance to then do it. Just keep trying

I've changed jobs so many times and I'm yet to find one which I think I'll stick with

Thanks for your kind words guys xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry haven't got a mirical answer other than to say I have changed careers twice successfully. For many years I was a Motorsport mechanic, by the time I hit forty I decided weeks and sometimes months away was not conducive to married life and children so I retrained in the explosives industry. This particular career lent itself to being self-employed so I turned it into a successful business until I got bored. During this time I had completed a science degree and decided on a job in a school. Now this wasn't strait forward and I was rejected many times until one interviewer advised me to get into a school doing something more menial and work up. So that's what I did - part time cover tutor, then full time, then I was asked to do more permanent classes to cover for long term absence. 18 months ago a position came up as a laboratory technician so currently I do that along with a few classes.

It may be that you might have to do a more menial job to prove your worth, it was certainly the case when I did Motorsport and school work.

Thanks @Groundhog and others. It's nice to know other people have had success changing career. I do think it comes down to perseverance and a bit of luck! I actually did end up finding my opportunity, and I start on Monday which I'm really excited about. Despite this being my first job since having an anxiety disorder, I think I've done pretty well not to overthink it, thinking I'll just do my best and hope it works out. I'm happy that I'll have a purpose again and somewhere to go every morning, something to occupy my mind. However my body is reacting differently. The past two days I have felt physically sick in a way that I haven't since I first got panic attacks. I have that feeling like I've just thrown up, where you're all weak and shaky and exhausted. I just hope I calm down after a few days of being in the role. I don't want my anxiety to ruin this for me. I'm annoyed that my body is doing this to me right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once had a wrestling coach who preached - there's no substitute for aggression. Just don't give up. Perseverance will win the day. Disappointment is fine. Discouragement is not. Don't be too picky. Get your foot in the door of your chosen field. Millions have changed careers and you can too. They say a change is as good as a rest. Good luck. And congradulations!

N.

Thread Information