Thread: Fear of psychosis

Fear of psychosis

Hi, since a year or so I have developed this weird fear of getting a psychosis. This feeling tends to be worse at times when my anxiety levels are increased. I have noticed that it has become completely obsessive over time, to the point that when I notice something moving, especially in the corner of my visual field that is either real or not, I will get an immediate anxiety response as my unconscious thought is that it could be psychosis. I have actually had psychotic episodes in the past many years ago but this was during a time when I was physically very ill and it is nothing like I am experiencing now. From what I have read, people that are going through psychosis are usually not really aware of the fact that they are. Could anyone else relate to the feelings of fear for psychosis?

Thanks

Re: Fear of psychosis

Been there my friend.

Psychosis is a scary prospect, but people experiencing a psychotic episode don't question it or worry about. Well, they may feel worried, but they'll have no idea they're psychotic.

As a rule of thumb, if you're worried you're psychotic, you aren't psychotic.

I went through this in 2012. It was the worst time of my anxiety over the years. I was going to the doctors (walk in) every day thinking i was having heart problems. Long story short they put me on meds for anxiety and i ended up thinking they were making me hear voices because I was lying in bed and could hear a tv ( probably mư neighbours) anyway at the time my mom was starting dementia and going through all kinds of hallucinations so that might be what sparked it for me. I went to work the next day and had a complete breakdown thinking I was losing my mind. I went to my GP and she told me no way was it the meds because i had only taken them for 3 days, i asked her if she thought i was losing my mind and she told me "i cant tell you no with the family history"!! So I went through a few weeks of thinking i was going to go nuts. I can not tell you how I got through it, it just went away as fast as it came on. But now i always get anxious and try to avoid thinking about it because i am afraid to start thinkjng it again.

Thank you. True for me as well that sounds can also work as a trigger, especially the ones that cannot be directly explained, resulting in an automatic anxiety response/thought with typical physical sensations. I think it can be related to the general feeling of 'going crazy' after prolonged anxiety or during panic attacks.

From what you say, you understad psychosis an know what you are experiencing now is nothing like it. What it seems you are trying to understand is why you feeling anxious over the prospect of this?

This is where you are getting into the "Pure O" side of OCD. So, I would suggest the way to get your answers is to read about OCD where this is a well known theme.

I should point out - I'm not suggesting your have OCD, only that it's possible because of what you are saying. There are other disorders where intrusive thoughts are part of diagnosis.

And another thing that sticks out to me is when you said this is worse at more anxious times. As an OCD sufferer myself, this is how mine is too and I've spoken to many sufferers who say the same.

Thread Information