Thread: Panic about new job 😓

Panic about new job 😓

Hey all and nice to meet you... I really need some help. I know the title of this thread is nothing new, but I need some advice nonetheless... I am about to start a new job after nearly 5 years of an office job.

The new job is pretty different and includes lots of travel - in fact I'm travelling on my first day!! It will involve time away from home too.

Now - I have been on the verge of panic attacks for days and I feel like I'm losing it, for 2 reasons- 1, I am leaving a job which I liked (but I need to push myself and progress my career) and 2, obviously, because I'm starting a new job which I know practically nothing about. I'm scared about being away and missing my family and friends (who by the way are all really excited for me...)

I need some advice/words of reassurance/ external perspective...

Re: Panic about new job 😓

Hi Dorothy,

Congrats on the new job.

I think its super normal to be anxious about starting a new job, even if it wasn't that different and didn't involve traveling. I doubt many people start a new job and are not anxious about in the first few weeks. So you are really not alone in this.

I guess my best advice would be to remember that you are always free to do what is best for you. Taking this job doesn't mean you can't "untake" it if you wanted to. I think we're so good at telling ourselves what we can and can't do, or what we are allowed to do, when in fact our options are almost limitless.

So remember that everyone gets nervous about a new job, and remember that you're actually in full control, and are allowed to decide whats best for you at anytime!

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Re: Panic about new job 😓

thank you so much. The day is getting closer and I'm trying to stay calm but still nervous/sad about leaving my old job...ughhhhh!!!

Thread Information