Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: books for agoraphobia?? i know all about panic, need something more

books for agoraphobia?? i know all about panic, need something more

basically...

i need a book that's gonna help me overcome my agoraphobia...

i have books on panic attacks etc...

i dont need telling about the fight or flight resonse anymore, or what a panic attack actually is, i already know the symptoms and the thought etc etc etc...

ive had it for 3 years and i've gotten to the point where i feel im in a hole, cant see myself enjoying a normal life again and i need something that will help get me out of this hole i feel im in... at the moment its easier to stay agoraphobic for the rest of my life than to get over it... i need something that is more directed at agoraphobia rather that GAD... i need to change...

any recomendations???

Re: books for agoraphobia?? i know all about panic, need something more

HI Honeybee, sorry i can't help you with the book but i know exactly how you feel. I can't imagine any sort of life other than the one that i am enduring at the present but desperately want to have a future, i just don't know how to begin. I have trawled the book shelves at my local library and online but most books only deal with agoraphobia as a small chapter with no practical help, it will be very interesting to see if any other members have had any success. Do you have any help from your doctor or local self help goups?

Jacq x

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

hi jacq... i

wont go on meds.... ive had CBT, counsilling, hynotherapy, anxiety management course, homeopathy, reiki, spiritual healing, ummm, the list is endless.... tried loads more too... my boyfriend offered me £100 to go to the garage for him the other night, it would've meant a 2 min walk there and back. he even put the money in my pocket. i wouldnt've taken the money off him but i just couldnt go, i can go out with him fine but not on my own... 3 yaers ago i would've walked 5 miles on my own for someone if they were offering me £100, now i cant even go 300 meters down road... hey ho....

Claire Weekes had a book that was just called 'Agoraphobia'. Not sure if it's still in print, but I'm sure they'd have a copy at the library.

Hi Honeybee

I have read the Claire Weekes Agorophobia book and its good read, if you cant get it from the library you can get it from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Agoraphobia-.../dp/0207148767

Love

Andrea
    xxxx

Honeybee, know what you mean,,, its hell isnt it.
    Today I did the school run ended up in tears on the way back,,,my house seemed too far away for me, couldnt get there quick enough...spent the whole day laying on the sofa totally depressed (what a life).
    Its been 6 years for me now and Im gonna ask the doctor for pills....all the cbt hasnt worked, all the reading of books hasnt helped havent given the pills a go but Im gonna. There comes a time when enough is enough and Ive reached that point. A book I am reading at the moment called 10 days to great self esteem, ok I know its not a agrophobia title but it applys to it, it mentions it and explains alot about our thoughts and moods.
    Im enjoying it cos it also has self help tests to do .

thanks for your replies..

ill check out that claire weekes book.... thanks...

and mirry, yeah it is horrible, as much as you find it hard doing the school run i think its prob a good thing that yiou do something you HAVE to do each day cos i do believe the less you have to do the more of a hole you fall into... maybe im wrong, i dunno.... as for the self esteem book... ive read a few and to be honest i never read anything i dont already know... i find them just a waste of money really, thats why im looking for something more specific...

thanks for your replies... keep them coming

yep I knwo what you mean honeybee, my gp said are you reading up still, yes I said but I dont read anything new.
    This book Ive got does seem better than alot of others Ive read, its all about moods, and doing lots of tests to find out how bad you are , it has a perfectionist test/ depression test/ anxiety test and other things, Im at the begining but so far Im impressed (which is good).

I suggest the No Panic telephone recovery course - it is excellent!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

thanks nic... what is it??? is there a website i find out about that??? thanks for the help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information