Thread: I don’t know why I’m having an echocardiogram :(

Unhappy I don’t know why I’m having an echocardiogram :(

I am seriously freaking out due to a letter I received today. 3/4 weeks ago I went to A+E because I was having lots of palpitations and they weren’t stopping like they usually were and I was dizzy and had some chest pains. I had blood tests, and ECG and a chest X-ray, all of which the adr I spoke to said looked fine. He said he would refer me for a 24 hour ECG just for some piece of mind.

I had the 24hr ECG from the 5th to the 6th of October, but today got a letter saying that I need to go for an echocardiogram in 1o days too. It was sent on the 5th so it can’t have anything to do with the 24hr ECG and I’m freaking out! I did the mistake of going on the NHS website and they said they do them if they suspect all kinds of terrible heart problems! But I don’t understand, why would the DR in A+E tell me everything was fine if it wasn’t???

I’m so freaked out and scared. I have a 5 year old son and I can’t imagine anything happening to me and leaving him :( I am obese and do get out of breath sometimes but I put it down to me being less active than I used to be and getting more unfit but now I’m convinced it’s because there is something more serious wrong :(

I’m so sorry for the wall of text but I can’t seem to calm down. I’ve been crying pretty much non stop since I got the letter this afternoon (typically after I had just said to my husband that I thought my anxiety was calming a bit)

Re: I don’t know why I’m having an echocardiogram :(

It's to check for structural damage which they can't see from an ECG. Please don't worry as it's relatively standard if you're referred on for palpitations. Once that comes back clear they will send you on your merry way ��

Thank you Charlie, I so hope that is the case. It is just super strange because both times in the past that I’ve had 24 hour monitors I haven’t had an echocardiogram too. It also seems weird that the waiting for the appointments were so short! But I’m not sure if that is because i was referred through a+e rather than my GP.

I’ve hardly slept because I’m crippled with fear

I would think it was the a&e referral as you would have been referred to cardiology. I've had all the tests due to palps. Hopefully it'll put your mind at ease when you've had them all x

If it's making you that anxious you should ring the department tomorrow and explain how much it's affecting you and ask them to tell you if it's standard procedure etc. You can't spend over a week feeling this way

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie1108 View Post
    I would think it was the a&e referral as you would have been referred to cardiology. I've had all the tests due to palps. Hopefully it'll put your mind at ease when you've had them all x

If it's making you that anxious you should ring the department tomorrow and explain how much it's affecting you and ask them to tell you if it's standard procedure etc. You can't spend over a week feeling this way
    No I agree! I was going to make An appointment with my GP tomorrow anyways about my anxiety to see if there is any help available for that, so I’m hoping they might be able to shed some light on what’s going on too. Thank you for your great advice xx

Thread Information