Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GP's Dipstick Test Showed Protein, Lucocytes and Blood...Lab Tests Showed nothing :(

GP's Dipstick Test Showed Protein, Lucocytes and Blood...Lab Tests Showed nothing :(

My GP tested me because of persistant flank/back pain yesterday and the dipstick test showed Protein, Lucocytes(?) and Blood!!! Got given antibiotics (which have made me sick!) for a possible UTI.
    But they got my Urine back from the lab testing this morning and apparently there's no infection....

Which one is likely to be right? I'm having shortness of breath and I'm worried. :'(

'You can never win or lose, if you don't run the race'

Re: GP's Dipstick Test Showed Protein, Lucocytes and Blood...Lab Tests Showed nothing

The lab test will be correct. What did the lab test show in regards to protein etc?

Re: GP's Dipstick Test Showed Protein, Lucocytes and Blood...Lab Tests Showed nothing

They didn't tell me anything... :( They just said I wasn't infected...but I'm still in pain, not weeing much and short of breath :( I don't know what to think anymore...

When your urine gets sent to the lab a urinalysis is done. That’s standard. They then do a culture to see if any bacteria grows. If it does then that means you have an infection. The doctor who sent the urine to the lab would have the results of the urinalysis. Those results will give the same information (and more) as the dipstick only they will be much more accurate. Dipstick tests are often wrong. The urinalysis will be correct. Protein etc may not have been present when the lab tested the urine. Ask your doctor what the report showed. Anxiety is very possibly what is causing the frequent urination and pain.

Thank you very much.
    I'm just scared...my anxiety has been through the roof because of all the tests I've had to go through recently...all constant doctors and hospitals...
    And everyone I try and get help from is nasty and abrupt with me, whether it be friends, family or hospital staff. :( I'm struggling to cope.

It’s possible that the urinalysis was normal. You have the right to know what the results were so tell your doctor you want a copy of the report. If you have a history of health anxiety then people eventually get sick of it. Your family, friends and medical staff teach a point where they don’t know what to say to you because nothing works. So they become frustrated. Are you seeing a therapist?

---------- Post added at 00:28 ---------- Previous post was at 00:25 ----------

btw shortness of breath is a classic anxiety symptom. Walk to the corner at a normal pace. If you aren’t puffing and panting when you get there you don’t have shortness of breath.

I know, I'm fed up of myself :(
    I've just managed to walk up and down the stairs without being too out of breath and walked around...so I guess I'm ok...I just don't feel like it.

Exclamation Convinced I've got Kidney Failure...

The doctor found Blood and Protein in my Urine....and Lucocytes...they suspected infection...but when it was sent off for Analysis there was no infection and they just left me to it.

Maybe they didn't check protein levels at the lab and just bypassed a kidney function test? I've still got pain in my back, like a pulled muscle but I haven't....

I can't face having to go back to them, as my Doctor's are terrible, but I'm worried they've overlooked the protein and blood and just checked for infection.

I take a Vitamin C supplement, you see because my diet isn't good and I'm always getting colds and flu and I was fed up of it, so I started taking Vitamin C. I've heard taking Vitamin C can damage your kidneys and even cause them to fail and kill you and I didn't know until I googled it.

I'm terrified and convinced my kidney's are damaged and are going to fail....
    I don't know what to do :'(

Re: Convinced I've got Kidney Failure...

Hi there,

Firstly, I don’t think you have kidney failure, so relax, right now :-).
    Your dr would know if you had renal failure and you would have more hand back pain. The pain is interesting though as the thing that came to mind with me was a kidney stone. This can also cause blood and back pain. Maybe worth another visit and run kidney stones past them. Some can pass on their own, others require ultrasound or other procedures but you’d be in a lot of pain if it was serious.

Your threads have been merged as they are about the same thing.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information