Thread: tooth root problem

tooth root problem

hi all, after having my tooth out few weeks back. it had become infected, the antibiotics had not got rid of the swelling, so i went back yesterday. the dentist took x-ray and said that there was and infected root far down, he said that he would not go that deep as it is near a nerve in the jaw that it is close to, and if that nerve got damaged, then i caould end up with a face like a stroke victims, one side droping down. he said if the next antibiotics dont heal it, then i would have to go to the hospital and have it done there. im really nervious about the nerve being damaged and having the operation. has anyone else has similar problems? im starting to feel myself brakeing down again, and i had been ok for a month or two. please help.

thanks.

Re: tooth root problem

Have never had a problem like this, but do know that if you have to go to the hospital to get it done, then you will be in the best hands. I know you will be scared, we all would be, but try to remember that all the doctors etc know what they are doing and will do their best for you no matter what. They also know that you are scared and will do their best to help you through it.
    Stay strong and I hope it all goes ok for you.

I don't have exactly that problem either but I do have a problem with the root of an upper molar. It's one that I had root canal treatment on a few years ago and it's never settled down. Last time I went back to my dentist she said the roots of the tooth are so long she is worried if she takes it out she will puncture the sinus cavity. For that reason she has suggested I see the oral surgeon that regularly goes to her surgery. I don't know if it's the thought of going to the hospital that is worrying you more or just the thought of what might need to be done. However if it's the hospital part of it you may be able to find a dental surgery like mine where the local hospitals oral surgeon is part of their team.

Hi Hun just thought I could help as I am a qualified dental nurse (now practice manager) the problem that you describe is very common and seen a lot in surgery. When you go to the hospital they will take their own X-Rays and the one benefit of the hospital is that you will be seen by a maxiofacial surgeon who are very experienced in this field.

If he feels that it would be safe to remove the root then he will do so but you may find (and in most cases) that the tooth root is fused to the bone and if this is the case then the root will be left in place, sometimes sockets get infected if they are not closed some may need stitching as sockets tend to heal from the bottom up any debris that fall into the socket stay there until the body pushes them out, these sounds like your case.

Don’t be afraid as you are in the best hands and as for paralysis to the extent of what your dentists described you would have to completely sever the nerve and that is very rare and after 15 years of working in practice and also the hospitals I have never seen, people may get some local numbness around the lip area as this is were the nerves exit the mandible and join the soft tissue but this numb feeling is very short lived and this will only occur if the nerve is touched. But when any surgery is performed the nerve can be very easily seen as it is quit large. I do think your dentist is over exaggerating this so don’t worry all will be well.

Love

Sam

Thread Information