Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very slight lump in lower abdomen when straining... hernia?

Unhappy Very slight lump in lower abdomen when straining... hernia?

Hi, I'm back :(

I've been losing a lot of weight and lifting weights recently.

My dad got a double inguinal hernia about 10 years ago from lifting too much at work. I know that losing weight quickly and lifting weights can make you higher risk.

I pulled my lower back about a week ago pulling a bed away from a wall. It's getting better.

I started to check myself by flexing my abs and feeling around my lower abs and I found a spot on my lower left side next to my hip bone that kind of "flexes" when I strain. There is no pain or burning or anything, but it concerns me that I have the startings of a hernia..

Could this just be me overthinking? you have to feel around quite a bit to feel it, and its only present when flexing. Doesn't seem to be on the other side, or at least I can't find it.

Thank you..

Re: Very slight lump in lower abdomen when straining... hernia?

I've had hernias, if you get one you won't have to go feeling around for it. (Not in my experience anyway).

If you do have one/get one, trust me when I tell you that a simple op will fix it and it's nothing to be worried about.

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. After feeling it a little more, I should add that it feels very firm like a muscle when I flex, and it actually seems to extend to around where my hipbone begins. Is this just a muscle? Or possibly a muscle with a node on top which makes it more prominent than the other side?

Again, no pain or discomfort, and you cant feel anything in that area unless I flex..

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by nmp1991ah View Post
    Could this just be me overthinking?
    Ya think?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Unhappy Re: Very slight lump in lower abdomen when straining... hernia?

I'm sorry, I keep freaking myself out. Every time I check it, I get more assured that its a hernia and that I'm going to need surgery, which is one of my huge fears.

Funny how I had no symptoms or ailments until checking for them this morning.

All the pressing on that spot seems to be making the spot inflamed, as it now feels bruised. My mind is making this proof to me that it IS a hernia, since I have also been pressing on the other side of my lower abdomen and nothing feels bruised there.

Lord help me.

Quote Originally Posted by nmp1991ah View Post
    Funny how I had no symptoms or ailments until checking for them this morning.
    Typical anxiety IMO. I'm not one for paid reassurance, but if you had 20+ replies all telling you no, you'd still worry. I personally don't think you have one and I've had one (inguinal) and have an incisional hernia below my breastbone from surgery. If you're that concerned, see your doctor. I'll have the "Told Ya So Gang" on standby

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you. The lump is not at all visible, just can feel it when flexing. I need to calm down... If it gets worse I'll contact a doctor.. until then I'll try my best to stop digging my fingers into it and making the situation worse.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroatGoat View Post
    I've had hernias, if you get one you won't have to go feeling around for it. (Not in my experience anyway).

If you do have one/get one, trust me when I tell you that a simple op will fix it and it's nothing to be worried about.
    Not necessarily. I had a bilateral inguinal hernia (both sides), no lumps or bumps, just an occasional dull ache which I put down to a strain. Didn't even know I had them. You're right though, it's a simple enough operation. I was in and out within 6 hours. I had the shouldice repair, but I had a very skilled surgeon. Only way to know for sure is an ultrasound, or if you're male, a test called "palpitating the inguinal ring"

So I'm going to the doctor in a couple of days to get it checked out. It doesn't hurt, it hasn't gotten bigger (maybe smaller), but its not going away. My fears of surgery and the doctors office is making me lose hair (literally) the past few days. This has been a torturous past week. if it is diagnosed as a hernia, i'm hoping maybe I can get some kind of therapy to help me cope with the fear of surgery before getting it repaired. I don't attribute it to whatever is on my abdomen, but I have been feeling very cold and weak and shaky through all of this, probably because of anxiety. I have also had very bad thoughts of wanting to die rather than go through the fear of health issues and surgery like I am right now. I feel ridiculous because any normal person wouldn't react like this. Just venting a little. Thanks for your support.

Smile Re: Very slight lump in lower abdomen when straining... hernia?

Well, went to the doctor. She felt the spot I was talking about and did some very embarrassing tests and told me that she doesn't think it is a hernia at all and that what she feels feels like muscle.

Good news for me. It wasn't as relieving as I was expecting such news to be (I was VERY convinced it was a small hernia), probably because I just couldn't believe it at first.

Part of me is still afraid she missed it (health anxiety, from previous experience, is as such). She didn't do a ultrasound (said it was not necessary as she was confident it was not a hernia). I am sure I will get over this. Just need to get over my fear so I can get back into the gym without worrying too much about "making it worse".

Cheers, guys and gals!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information