Thread: flying

flying

[:O] hi, i hav been suffering with pa for about 7 yrs now, i hav good days and bad days i just hav to take it as it comes. i was wondering if anyone as any advice for me as my problem is i hav not flown for 4 yrs now due to my pa and im off on holiday for a family wedding in aug and im not even sure i can get on plane as im dreading it. im starting to freak out already. help!

Hi Molly

Welcome aboard.

I am not a lover of flying atall. I used to manage it fine and did about 11 trips abroad (22 flights) and then about 8 years ago I found that I couldn't do it anymore. I was so claustrophobic and hated even being on the plane.

I booked on a "Flying with confidence" course (4 years ago) that Britannia Airways run (cheap for me cos I work for them lol) and decided I had to get over the fear.

Weeks before the flight I knew that I wasn't going to make it unless I got something to help me so I went to Hypnotherapy and had 3 sessions prior to doing it. I managed it just about - even though I cried most of the 1 1/4 hour flight but I was pleased I did it. I tried the flying course twice more and the 2nd time I took some Diazepam to relax me.

I have to admit that I haven't tried it since and I know I should really try again! Part of this is cos I have other issues about travelling - i.e. I don't like any public transport so even if I went on holiday I would be stranded at the airport unless I got a hire car! Anyway enough about that.

What I am trying to say is that you can do it and there are loads of coping techniques for this. I took along a personal CD player with relaxation tapes to listen to, puzzle books, bottle of water etc.

You can also talk to the cabin crew and explain that you are afraid and they will keep an eye on you.

What is your fear and I may be able to help some more? Is it the fear of crashing or like me claustrophobia?

Nicola

hello Molly,

I have to fly the whole time as I am an American who lives in the UK and my family live in France. Once you have done it once, it becomes a lot easier. But it's that first time that is always so difficult. You should definitely take along a lot of things that make you feel comfortable like music, books, water, snacks, etc. Hopefully, you will be travelling with someone as that makes things a lot easier.

By the way, I am flying down to London tomorrow!!

Sarah

Hi ya Molly

For years i have loved flying and travelling but since having my panic attacks i have been worried about it or perhaps just worried about having a panic attack on a flight feeling claustrophobic i dont know, anyway in december i got married and flew out to spain for new year on the outbound flight i felt nervous got onto the plane felt extreme panic and felt as though i was going to have to get off the flight it wasnt good, however i rode it out and held andys hand once we were up in the air i put on my personal cd player and listened to music to try and relax and managed to fall asleep out of exhaustion, the return flight wasnt so bad again listened to music and read to try and take my mind off things. You will be fine hun take some good books or magazines music and diazapam incase your bad on the flight, that will relax you if nothing else does.

Take care hun and enjoy your holiday.

Love Sarah-jane xxxxx

Love Sarah-Jane xxxx

thankyou all for the replys to the one i posted about FLYING, my problem is not the fear of crashing or anything to do with the plane it is the fact that i am claustrophobic and hate the feeling of being trapped. i had a bad pa on a flight about 4 yrs ago and have not been on a flight since. i am already worrying about it and im filled with dread, it should be a happy time as all the family will be there and i should enjoy myself but it does not feel like that.

Molly

So your worries are the same as mine in a lot of respects.

I am not sure if you can afford to do the "Flying with confidence" course in April but it does help. There is even a doctor on board to help if you need him. Let me know if you want more details.

Failing that then it is back to the old distraction options mentioned above and maybe some Diazepam from the doc.

Nicola

Hi, great little forum this. I practice Hypnotherapy and have come across quite a few forums, this one seems to be about the best so far! hope to chat soon!!

www.phoenixhypno.bravehost.net

Hi Enigma,

Thank you for the compliment. I'm glad you like our forum.

Quite a few people passing through have also expressed that its the best around.

Nicola will be glowing again. She has done a great job in building it up.

You may want to edit your home page link in the message above. Think it should be com and not net but didn't like to fiddle on your behalf.

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

ah! yeah! it is ,com

www.phoenixhypno.bravehost.com

Thankyou! [Oops!]

Hi Enigma

Welcome to the forum. I am pleased you like it.

We have a fab bunch of people on here which makes it such a great place to be.

I can add a link to your site from my links page on the website if you want? Let me know. The links page is at www.nomorepanic.co.uk/links.htm

Nicola

Thread Information