Hi Joe.
I agree with your explanation of stress and anxiety, and I, too, was always looking for that ONE thing that caused it so I could eliminate that and be anxiety free. Now that we are anxiety experts, we know that's not possible nor the case. And looking back, yes, I think he probably should have told me to slowly work my way out of caffeine, but with all that was going on in my life at that point, it was probably the one thing that was keeping me upright and functional (albeit filled with anxiety).

Actually, now that I'm not working and living that 65 hours a week stress of a global job, I do understand that there is not ONE magic bullet (or pill) that will make it all go away. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if anyone who is required to continue that stressful lifestyle would be able to get a handle on their anxiety very well because that job stress is a necessary evil.

I'm just grateful that I am on my way out of it, and wish I had the answer for those who are 20 or 30 years behind me and struggling with this.
Sue