Thread: Giddy, Lopsided, horrible feeling

Giddy, Lopsided, horrible feeling

Hi everyone

Hav'nt posted for a while, but have been reading a lot - I find this site so reassurring.
    Life is pretty stressful at home at present and I've been suffering with my anxiety really bad. I have had a couple a really bad attacks of giddy, lightheaded, lopsided, "not quite in this world". This is new for me and they are so frightening. Of course, I panic more when I have them and that makes things ten times worse - I cant help it, they make me feel so ill. I've had to come home from work a couple of times.
    I went to the docs and he thought it may be labrynthitis - gave me some tablets, but they gave me terrible side affects.
    I keep thinking the worst - is it a brain tumour or am I going to have a stroke???? How ever much I tell myself its anxiety - I still panic. I cant stop thinking about things - my mind seems to be going a million miles an hour all the time.
    As you can tell by this thread, which is very disjointed - I am just not functioning very well at all.

Re: Giddy, Lopsided, horrible feeling

Hi Judipat

Like you I find this site invaluable, it has me helped so much.

Hope I can reassure you that the giddy, lopsided, not quite there in this world feelings are quite common and won't harm you, or are they indicative of anything else but anxiety. I get them regularly and not just when you would expect them either. They seem to come out of the blue and for no good reason.

My strategy is a few good deep breaths, try and breathe from your stomach, and breathe slowly. Count 4 breathing in and 3 or so breathing out. I read this on this forum and it works for me. You mileage may vary, but it's worth a try.

Also look at these, these people have more knowledge/experience than me

How Do You Do The Breathing

Breathing.. wow

Breathing Techniques

READ THIS!!! Proper breathing technique!

Doctor's sometimes try various drugs cos they can't pin down exactly what the problem is and trying to describe these anxious feelings/symptoms to them is very difficult sometimes.

Hope you feel better soon
    Last edited by Shiloh; 16-09-07 at 21:04.

A lot of it is incorrect breathing so try and get on top of that as well.

Practice this and it may help.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

if your gp suggest an inner ear disorder like he has , then if things dont improve you need to be seen by your local audiology department.
    I have had these feeling for about 5 years now and have only just been told it is my inner ear, I am still having tests because I failed 2 of them .

still doesnt help my panic attacks tho .

i have them they are frightinin think it is unreality and depersonlization i stopped going out cus of them its as tho you arnt connected to this world i also feel spaced oout .its as tho the pavement not solid like walking on sponge or air very frightening its very hard explaining to doctors i have had it 4 4 months had it 13 years ago aswll you are not alone tc elaine

Thread Information