Quote Originally Posted by panicstricken View Post
I cut it in half and took that xx it made me feel Ill as I took it with breakfast as dr suggested x I might switch to taking it at night and see how I go
In theory it shouldn't make much difference when you take it as after a few days sertraline blood plasma levels will stabilize to a steady state and then not vary much across 24 hours, however, some report doing better when it is taken at a particular time of day. The important thing is to pick a time when you can consistently take it.

You probably would do okay on the full 25mg, but if you're more confident taking only half initially then that's okay too though it is better to get the prescribing doctor's okay first.

The rule of thumb on this is to stay on a dose for 5 times the half-life of the med (24 hours for sertraline) before increasing the it (or decreasing when weaning off), so consider taking the full 25mg on day 6. There is little to be gained in waiting longer as any increase in side-effects severity after upping the dose will still occur irrespective of how long the delay. Also, taking sub therapeutic doses for long periods may increase the risk of the med pooping-out.

not sure if I can do this and obvs halving g tablet isn't precise but I felt a bit better about trying it that way
The important thing is to keep taking the med no matter what and if splitting the dose helps you do this then that's great. Side-effects are not always down to the med. Psychology is at least as important as chemistry and biology. Convince yourself that you will suffer greatly and an anxious mind is quite capable of producing your worst fears on cue. Despite the impression given by support groups, most only have mild symptoms when first taking an AD. It is the few with more severe issues who gravitate to groups like NMP.

Pharmacies sell pill-cutters which make splitting tablets easier, more accurate and less bloody.