Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Outrage over historical films, TV shows, songs, etc.

Re: Outrage over historical films, TV shows, songs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    Bits of pig offal I think

The point is that the word for this dish has existed for a long time, and was stolen, only to be used in a derogatory and highly offensive way. It's not a brand name that can simply be renamed (although "Mr Brains" doesn't help much either IMO). It would be like banning/changing the name "Sissy" because of its pejorative use, although I know it's not common now for obvious reasons.

Each to their own of course...
    Thanks for explaining that, KK.

I'll add pansy, a common one for effeminate men often used to emasculate a straight guy, but also a well known flower.

Possibly one reason why there isn't as much offence as you would think over that pork product is the F is more a US thing. I'm not if that correct but in my experience it's used little outside of US films, at least looking back to my earlier days. There were very common terms used to label someone gay, lesbian, etc (because they were more the focus) in old comedies on UK TV and these, amongst others, were certainly very commonly heard and are still used. Outside of online I don't see the F word.

Maybe it differs by region, some things do?
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 18-06-20 at 04:45.

Well, a cock used to be a rooster. Should I keep my cookbook called “60 Ways to Eat Cock?” Or just give it out at bachelorette parties?

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Well, a cock used to be a rooster. Should I keep my cookbook called “60 Ways to Eat Cock?” Or just give it out at bachelorette parties?
    Surely a pressie for the mother-in-law

Looks like N finally went off the deep end...too much Fox News’ll do that to a person
    I think he's just been watching the film, Demolition Man. An interesting choice of film given a discussion about how far do we go.

My point is that my 60 Ways to Eat Cock cookbook wouldn’t be on the display shelves because cock now means a penis, even though it only contains chicken recipes. People who didn’t know cock meant chicken would find it offensive.

Many people think it’s great that discrimination against people of color is getting a spotlight. But we can’t change anything? We can’t change things because it makes people who got used to things a certain way uncomfortable? Think about how uncomfortable you’d feel as a black person knowing that most Americans put syrup on their pancakes and the name of it referred to slaves that had to say, “I ain’t your mama” that took care of other people’s children for no pay.

Exactly, Vee, society grows and evolves. Nostalgia is powerful, but maybe it shouldn't be.

Returning to the tasty pig's liver dish - 'faggot' has a much older origin, discovered when I was reading a book on the construction of the Great Northern Railway across a particularly boggy bit of land, the edge of the now-lost Whittlesea Mere.

In it, reference was made to the use of faggots being sunk into the ground to stabilise it - these being bundles of sticks. See https://www.oed.com/viewdictionaryentry/Entry/67623 for more details.

And I can certainly remember the older Regional English usage for it to describe a naughty child, having been called it by my mother on numerous occasions! (As in "you little faggot, I'll skin yer!")

Is it still PC to order Spotted Dick for pud?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Is it still PC to order Spotted Dick for pud?
    Yes.

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information