Thread: Been trying to manage without medication but is it time to give it a go?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Been trying to manage without medication but is it time to give it a go?

Just a quick update which might help someone thinking about taking Sertraline. I have now been on Sertraline for 8 weeks - starting at 25mg and increasing to 50mg six weeks ago. I had the prescription since February and it took me until 13th August to pluck up the courage to take it. My main problem is health anxiety.

I am now feeling so much better. I still get the odd flash of anxiety but I can manage it. If I had know how much better it has made me feel I would have taken it much sooner. I would say I am 80% better than I was earlier in the year. My anxiety was so bad in February that I missed a family holiday. So I would encourage anyone to give this medication a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Penelope View Post
    I am now feeling so much better. I still get the odd flash of anxiety but I can manage it. If I had know how much better it has made me feel I would have taken it much sooner
    That's good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. Six weeks is still early days. There should be further improvement over the next weeks as the brain changes triggered by the med consolidate.

Thanks panic_down_under.
    I have now had two bad days - I must have jinxed myself! Been feeling anxious and jittery. Ocular migraine two days running and tingly face. It this normal with Sertraline? How long does this medication take to be level? And when do you know if you need to increase?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Penelope View Post
    I have now had two bad days - I must have jinxed myself! Been feeling anxious and jittery. Ocular migraine two days running and tingly face. It this normal with Sertraline?
    Migraines are a relatively common side-effect. They tend to occur more often when there is a past history. Tingly skin is a common initial SSRI side-effect produced by constriction of the fine blood vessels of the skin. Serotonin isn't only a brain neurotransmitter. It has many roles in the body including in blood vessel tone, constriction and dilation, and SSRIs can effect this, especially at the beginning.

How long does this medication take to be level?
    This is difficult to answer as the med doesn't have a direct effect. ADs stimulate the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis) which produce the therapeutic response and their growth can be affected by other factors too. It can take up to 12 weeks to achieve the maximum response from a dose. However, even when working at maximum efficiency there can be the occasional bad day. They are part of the human condition.

And when do you know if you need to increase?
    If the bad days become more frequent then a dose increase should be considered. Most on sertraline take 100-150mg/day.

Thread Information