Thread: Saw bat in my house, woke up with red marks on face- very concerned

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Saw bat in my house, woke up with red marks on face- very concerned

Quote Originally Posted by Jduke View Post
    I know it's all unlikely but not outside the realm of possibility. This is why I continue to be anxious. It's hard for me to accept the red marks on my face are not from a bat because the probability isn't zero. I think if I noticed some kind of irritation or shaving mishap on my face before I went to bed, I'd be much more accepting of my wife's theory that I just opened something up on my face when I turned over on my pillow...but I didn't notice anything. I wouldn't be worried about this at all if I didn't see that bat in January.
    It kind of is outside the realms of possibilities though. Even if a bat did manage to get in your room, why bite you? Why not your wife? Why not just find a corner to hide in?

You choose to believe that it got in and bit you over about 50 other rational reasons for you having a bit of blood on your face.

Re: Saw bat in my house, woke up with red marks on face- very concerned

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    It kind of is outside the realms of possibilities though. Even if a bat did manage to get in your room, why bite you? Why not your wife? Why not just find a corner to hide in?

You choose to believe that it got in and bit you over about 50 other rational reasons for you having a bit of blood on your face.
    I think a source of much of my anxiety is a chart that I found that shows all the human rabies in the U.S. that were caused by bats from 1951-2018. There are only 69 cases so I do recognize that rabies is a rare occurrence but of those 69 cases, about 18 of them reported a bat biting them while sleeping or they did see a bat in their house at some point and/or discovered a colony of bats in their attic after the person died from rabies but there was "no known contact" with a bat . Again, I can see that it's very rare but I think to myself that people still win the lottery and bats do bite people while sleeping so why not me?

Thread Information