Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
Lenco, I can’t speak to your side of the ocean, but over here I think people are just tired. If you’re working 2+ jobs to make ends meet, it doesn’t leave a lot of time or energy for protesting or fighting for change (which is probably the idea). I know they sometimes try to organize strikes or walkouts but that really only works for Union workers who will still have health care (and sometimes a little pay, I think) when on strike. Everyone else just gets fired and then they’re in hot water, so they just can’t participate to begin with.

People are also pretty disconnected from each other. You have to have community in order to organize.
I think that's probably the crux of it Poppy; the general lack of collective social conscience.

But I guess a lot of it is to do with our increasingly fragmented media landscape (on both sides of the Atlantic), unlike in the 'olden' days when and where most of us consumed pretty much the same media and nearly everything wasn't 24/7 and increasingly globalised like now, where stuff can easily disappear into the ether and then quickly forgotten about.

I don't think most people on the whole are inherently more selfish and uncaring than ever before; they're just more overwhelmed than ever before with the constant bombardment of pretty much anything and everything jostling for our immediate attention.

Little wonder our attention spans are up the creek with all this excessive 'information overload'!