Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Severe nausea and no appetite 6 weeks, terrified

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    112

    Severe nausea and no appetite 6 weeks, terrified

    I started Clarithromycin antibiotics on April 10th-16th. They were prescribed for tonsillitis and they made me feel much worse than I did prior to starting. I didnít have the symptoms prior to taking the pills.

    They made me incredibly unwell with severe nausea, lack of appetite, stomach pain and diarrhoea. I was in bed the whole time feeling weak. I rang the surgery to ask to stop them but was told by general enquiries to continue unless I had a rash.

    Iíd hoped Iíd feel better after finishing the course however the severe nausea, lack of appetite and feeling generally unwell has continued. Iím struggling to eat tiny amounts and the thought of food makes me feel sick. Iím losing weight and itís terrifying me.

    Itís been six weeks since I started the medication and five weeks since I finished it yet Iím still incredibly unwell. Still in bed. Iím exhausted and I want to cry I just want to feel better.

    Iím hoping someone else has had a similar experience and can advise what is causing me to be so unwell after taking antibiotics. I wish I could go back in time and not take them.


    I have severe agoraphobia and canít leave my house so the drs have arranged bloods at home, stool tests and a paramedic to come out to check me this week which im so thankful for but itís made me anxious as it seems theyíre worried.

    My anxiety is so bad Iím so scared and Iím exhausted from being unwell for so long

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    570

    Re: Severe nausea and no appetite 6 weeks, terrified

    So I didn't have this after taking antibiotics, but I had something similar after taking Sertraline (anti anxiety medication). It made me feel so horrible, that I couldn't leave my bed for a week. And I felt extremely nauseous and couldn't eat. I could only drink complans and fortisips and lost a lot of weight!
    After stopping the medication, the nausea continued for another 5 weeks or or so because I was so anxious about how I felt, and I hyperfocused on the nausea and the worry about needing to eat.
    I think that's what's going on with you too. I think the antibiotics made you feel nauseous, which then made you feel anxious about the nausea. And now it's all you can focus on, so you keep feeling it. All I can say is, it will eventually pass even though you think it won't. As anxiety always does, it will move on to another symptom and you'll be able to eat again. Try not to worry about it too much and see if you can find some high calorie liquids like complan, fortisip, ensures. And something small like banana's, nakd bars. That's what I lived off for those few weeks and helped me get through it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    182

    Re: Severe nausea and no appetite 6 weeks, terrified

    Antibiotics can really wreak havoc with your gut biome. In my experience digestive issues aren't at all uncommon after a round of them.

    You might try taking some probiotics to try and get everything back in balance, and I'm sure your doctor will have some recommendations too. Hope you feel better soon!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    112

    Re: Severe nausea and no appetite 6 weeks, terrified

    Quote Originally Posted by ckelley116 View Post
    Antibiotics can really wreak havoc with your gut biome. In my experience digestive issues aren't at all uncommon after a round of them.

    You might try taking some probiotics to try and get everything back in balance, and I'm sure your doctor will have some recommendations too. Hope you feel better soon!

    Thank you so much for your reply, I do hope itís just that Iím struggling to get out of bed. I started taking probiotics a few days ago (I was eating Greek yoghurt when I could eat while on the antibiotics too)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    112

    Re: Severe nausea and no appetite 6 weeks, terrified

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkling_Fairy View Post
    So I didn't have this after taking antibiotics, but I had something similar after taking Sertraline (anti anxiety medication). It made me feel so horrible, that I couldn't leave my bed for a week. And I felt extremely nauseous and couldn't eat. I could only drink complans and fortisips and lost a lot of weight!
    After stopping the medication, the nausea continued for another 5 weeks or or so because I was so anxious about how I felt, and I hyperfocused on the nausea and the worry about needing to eat.
    I think that's what's going on with you too. I think the antibiotics made you feel nauseous, which then made you feel anxious about the nausea. And now it's all you can focus on, so you keep feeling it. All I can say is, it will eventually pass even though you think it won't. As anxiety always does, it will move on to another symptom and you'll be able to eat again. Try not to worry about it too much and see if you can find some high calorie liquids like complan, fortisip, ensures. And something small like banana's, nakd bars. That's what I lived off for those few weeks and helped me get through it.
    Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. Iím in such a bad place I feel like Iím never going to get better or Iím dying which is obviously making my anxiety sky rocket and wonít be helping my symptoms!

    I keep trying to take comfort in the fact that I wasnít ill prior to the antibiotics so like you said itís either my anxiety and hyper fixation or potentially the antibiotics have messed up my healthy bacteria or caused something.

    I had a terrifying episode about 3 weeks ago too which hasnít helped my anxiety, my heart rate went to 195 and beating very hard which landed me in an ambulance to a&e despite me dealing with severe anxiety for over 25 years, Iíve never been to A&E as my agoraphobia has always been too bad. I have been put on propranolol as a result but as an agoraphobic with severe health anxiety it was horrific as I
    hadnít left the house in some time.

    It feels like one thing after another at the moment, and my anxiety is in complete Meltdown.

    I really hope it is just anxiety and it will pass One part of me thinks Iím dying from either heart related issues or the antibiotics have caused something, the other part of me is trying to rationalise and hoping itís just an anxiety.

  6. #6

    Re: Severe nausea and no appetite 6 weeks, terrified

    Quote Originally Posted by Eevie View Post
    I started Clarithromycin antibiotics on April 10th-16th. They were prescribed for tonsillitis and they made me feel much worse than I did prior to starting. I didnít have the symptoms prior to taking the pills.

    They made me incredibly unwell with severe nausea, lack of appetite, stomach pain and diarrhoea. I was in bed the whole time feeling weak. I rang the surgery to ask to stop them but was told by general enquiries to continue unless I had a rash.

    Iíd hoped Iíd feel better after finishing the course however the severe nausea, lack of appetite and feeling generally unwell has continued. Iím struggling to eat tiny amounts and the thought of food makes me feel sick. Iím losing weight and itís terrifying me.

    Itís been six weeks since I started the medication and five weeks since I finished it yet Iím still incredibly unwell. Still in bed. Iím exhausted and I want to cry I just want to feel better.

    Iím hoping someone else has had a similar experience and can advise what is causing me to be so unwell after taking antibiotics. I wish I could go back in time and not take them.


    I have severe agoraphobia and canít leave my house so the drs have arranged bloods at home, stool tests and a paramedic to come out to check me this week which im so thankful for but itís made me anxious as it seems theyíre worried.

    My anxiety is so bad Iím so scared and Iím exhausted from being unwell for so long
    The mycin antibiotics are especially harsh on the stomach. The timing of all this suggests they are the cause. Good to get some tests. Doesn't mean they are especially worried - just diligent.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    112

    Re: Severe nausea and no appetite 6 weeks, terrified

    Quote Originally Posted by JooBug View Post
    The mycin antibiotics are especially harsh on the stomach. The timing of all this suggests they are the cause. Good to get some tests. Doesn't mean they are especially worried - just diligent.
    Thank you so much for your reply, I did see that these antibiotics were particularly strong. I really do wish Iíd never taken them! Iím glad to be getting some tests to see if anything is going on but like you said the fact this all started when I started the antibiotics definitely suggests itís down to them.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Lexapro-nausea+appetite, plus TCA
    By Librella in forum Escitalopram / Lexapro / Cipralex
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 31-08-22, 12:05
  2. Nausea & no appetite how long
    By ShaunD in forum Sertraline / Zoloft / Lustral
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-07-15, 10:17
  3. Sertraline Nausea & Loss of Appetite
    By ShellyTai in forum Sertraline / Zoloft / Lustral
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-12-13, 08:35
  4. Ideas for what to eat when low appetite/nausea?
    By smileforawhile in forum General Anxiety / Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 24-09-12, 18:34
  5. Nausea and loss of appetite
    By RibbonBows in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-03-09, 09:16

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •