Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here, hope to make some friends!

New here, hope to make some friends!

Hi there everyone!
    I'm Cynthia and I have been suffering from panic attacks and general anxiety for the last 5 years. I have good and bad days and it was on one of those bad days when I came across this site, I found it very helpful and it made me feel a lot less alone.

I went to the doctor last week in the hope of getting some more treatment, she is going to get me some councelling sorted, I also have private healthcare through work so with a bit of luck it will be funded by that.

I used to try and hide my panic as I was so ashamed, this is why I was reluctant to seek help at first. Lately I have discovered that speaking and being honest about it to people gives me a sense of relief. I no longer feel that I need to be 'normal' all the time and if people are aware of my issues they will understand if I feel a bit anxious.

My boss at work knows about my disorder and has been extremely helpful. Unfortunately I have lost all my friends as they were unable to accept that I was too scared to do certain things and that certain things made me feel very anxious.

I have a boyfriend of 2 years who has been an absolute rock. I can talk to him about anything and he has been there for me like no one else has. When I met him I told him all about my issues and what he was letting himself in for and he accepted them and has been keen to help ever since. I am truely lucky to have someone like him to support me.

I still live at home with my parents who also understand and have helped me through.

I am gradually understanding that it is only my irrational thoughts which are making me feel this way but I know it will be a long road ahead.

I know this may sound silly but my main fear is feeling ill as I haven't had enough food. Not sure if anyone else feels light-headed and generally ill if they haven't eaten but that really sets off my panic. It has taken a change of diet (no sugar, no refined carbs) to help me lessen these feelings but it is still a struggle sometimes. I always need to make sure I have food with me. I am gradually getting to the stage where I know that when I eat something the horrible feeling will go away soon afterwards. I have got to know that I won't faint due to panicing but sometimes I feel faint due to not eating and then I freak out as I fear that there is a real danger of fainting! Silly I know, but does anyone else feel like this?

Well thanks for listening to me, I am looking to make some real friends on this site, not so called friends who will desert me when I stop doing the things they want me to do! Please feel free to get it touch, it would be great to hear from any of you.

Cynthia xx

hi twinkle. welcome to the site. if u have friends who left u becouse of this they are not friends anywhay and u can do without them, the main thing is u have a good boyfriend, family and boss who does? I have the same a great wife and kids who all understand so i dont realy care what others think as long as u know them close to u love u and understand. Well we do have a chat room to if u fancy a chat? usualy someone in at night after 8 30pm its at

http://pub4.bravenet.com/chat/show.php/342349380

Take care for noe. Vernon

Welcome to the site. The people here have helped me lots already! It is very good that you do have people who care about you and want to support you, your friends weren't true friends - like Vernon said - if they ran out on you. That must have been horrible.

My anxiety is kinda the inverse of yours! I feel better when I *don't* eat, I like to feel hungry because it makes me feel healthy, makes me think "Oh well, if I feel hungry, I must be FINE". I mean, there is never going to be a situation where you can't get food. I don't know if that helps... probably not!

Hi Twinkle

Welcome to the site.

Sorry you've been going through a tough time. It's good that your boyfriend is supportive. I too have lost friends through anxiety.

You'll find lots of good support here.

KW

'Everyone believes very easily whatever they fear or desire'
    - JEAN DE LA FONTAINE

Hi Twinkle

Welcome to the site and i bet you are pleased you have found it. When i first found the site i was so relieved that i wasnt alone in how i feel. I too lost of lots of close friends as they couldnt understand why i didnt want to do certain things and they got sick of my excuses and eventually just stopped asking. But until you have suffered it is very hard to understand.

Sounds like your boyfriend has been brilliant and that is what you have needed.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

hi welcome to the forum

fan x

Cynthia

*Unfortunately I have lost all my friends as they were unable to accept that I was too scared to do certain things and that certain things made me feel very anxious. *
    It is so hard for people who do not understand to 'get it' Glad you have got support round you.

*Not sure if anyone else feels light-headed and generally ill if they haven't eaten but that really sets off my panic* Hypoglycaemia is a very well recognised cause of anxiety and panic. You are totally right in what you're doing . I never went anywhere without a bag of dried fruit and nut mix.

It may not be your thoughts that are causing this but may simply be a hypoglycaemic issue. Try sticking to a GI menu for 3 weeks and see how you are..

Hypogly Hypoglycemia

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
    You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Hi Cynthia

Welcome to the forum.

It's sad that your friends have not stood by you but a lot of people who have never experienced panic and anxiety have difficulty understanding. I'm glad your family and boyfriend are supportive.

You'll also get a lot of support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Hi Cynthia

Welcome aboard.

I have to eat regularly or I feel a bit faint and dizzy. I always eat before going out in the car for a long drive or I suffer more with anxiety.

I hope we can be of some help to you on here and I am sure you will make some good friends on here too.

Nicola

Hi Cynthia
    Welcome to the site. I'm sure you will find loads of help and support to get you through these difficult times.
    Take care
    Tracy
    x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information