Thread: Hiow do I know if I'm depressed

Hiow do I know if I'm depressed

Could you please advice what the symptoms of depression are ?
    I don't feel depressed just fed up with all the other symptoms I'm getting and on the odd occasion feel a little bit weepy inside for having to put up with them.
    I havn't lost interest in doing things and carry on much as normal according to the shakyness and nervous tension allow.
    Dr says he can give me Citalopram as an alternative to Diaz. but do I need them if I don't feel depressed ?
    Best wishes.
    Decca.

Re: Hiow do I know if I'm depressed

Hi Decca,

I dont think depression symptoms can be "one size fits all" really.

I'm not sure if I suffer from depression, but I go through periods of lacking motivation, I dont want to talk to people, I want to shut myself away, I feel incredibly low, I cry a lot.....maybe this is depression, I dont know.

If you do not feel that you need medication then you dont have to go along with what the doctor says.

The meds will take the edge of the other symptoms I believe - I'm not entirely sure as I have never taken meds.

Jo xxxxx
    If I could speak words of water,
    You would drown when I said
    "I love you."

Hello Decca,

I don't feel depressed just fed up with all the other symptoms I'm getting and on the odd occasion feel a little bit weepy inside for having to put up with them.
    I havn't lost interest in doing things and carry on much as normal according to the shakyness and nervous tension allow.

This describes a "depressed state" due to anxiety and stress. Treat the anxiety and the "depressed state" lifts.

Anxiety and depression symptoms mimic each other but someone who suffers from depression may not suffer anxiety whereas a depressed state always follow anxiety because of the mental strain anxiety causes us.

Anti-depressants can lift our mood but not "treat" the underlying anxiety which causes our depressed state whereas ad's can treat depression which is why anxiety/depressed states keep coming back when we encounter a new trigger such as too much stress. Ad's Can ease our anxiety symptoms though.

When I became ill, experienced suicidal thoughts and took overdoses, I was prescribed ad's and even ECT because they thought I suffered from depression. However, when none of the treatments had any lasting effect they then decided I was suffering from anxiety which was causing my depressed state because I felt "trapped" without an escape from the stresses I was feeling.

I know you "feel depressed" but I feel sure it's because of your fears and anxieties rather than in the true form "depression" and that once your stresses ease so will your mood lift.

Thanks Lilleth & bill,
    So are you saying that it's best to not take AD's but concentrate on the causes of anxiety IE; my newly aquired retirement and the temporary financial worries I'm going through until things are sorted ?
    Decca.

a friend recently said to me that most people get depressed, my answer was that there is a big difference between a 'sunday afternoon and nothing to do feeling,' and depression, the medical definition is accurate, but depression can come disguised in many forms, for years i suffered a low grade depression, not until i had thoughts of suicide did i realise something was badly wrong . it is a serious illness that can usually be treated sucessfully.

Thanks redjeff.
    Yes , that's what worries me, not recognising the symptoms, but I think the other guys were right when they say that I'm going through a period where my nerves are totally shot after months of extreme stress at work followed by months of health anxiety and I just need time to get over it.
    I do get a bit weepy at times but I think that's mostly anger/sorrow at what my employers have put me through and how I've become so ill.
    Officially my last day of employment was yesterday so I thought it would end there but ohhh nooo, I had my final pay slip in the post this morning and they've underpaid me by about £400 'cos they've calculated my leaving date and holiday pay wrong.But then I guess the assistant in payroll could be under as much stress as I was in my job.
    Decca.

Hello decca,

Concentrate on treating the causes of your anxiety which does take time so if you feel you need some support from ad's to ease your anxiety symptoms then take them. You can always come off them if and when you feel able or want to. Just bear in mind that diazepam is addictive if you take them for too long whereas the newer types of ad's aren't.

OK , thanks bill,
    I had a long chat with my son last night, his driver was ill so I had to drive him to one of his DJ engagements which gave us a rare chance to have a good natter . A few years ago he was on Citalopram for about 9 months so I asked him how they effected him and he said he had lots of nasty side effects including suicidal thoughts but it enabled him to come back up to a point where he could sort himself out. He reckoned I'm not depressed and have already reached the stage where Things are getting sorted and didn't recomend taking them at this stage.
    I took a 2mg Diaz yesterday morning and 1mg at bedtime and I do feel lots better today, woke up at 7 ish and was actually able to turn over and slept on until 8.30 ish. Got out of bed quite calm and didn't have that rushy feeling or muscle tension, just a little light headed and slightly nervy, but nothing like the last few weeks.So I'll take the same Diaz. again today and see how it goes. Hopefully my pensions will be sorted out fairly quickly and that will releive a lot of anxiety.
    Best wishes.
    Decca.

My advice, like other people have said, is to solve the underlying problem causing the anxiety in the first place.
    I've had depression since the age of 12, and despite being on anti-depressants for some time the only thing that I found really helped me was CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) which I'm still recieving.
    If you think it would be beneficial to your situation, perhaps think about a therapist?
    Good luck and best wishes

xax

Thread Information