Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derealization/Depersonalizatoin and Panic Disorder?

Derealization/Depersonalizatoin and Panic Disorder?

Does anyone else suffer from derealization/depersonalization? I always feel like I'm not in my body and I'm watching my life through a window! Sometimes I feel "numb" Does anyone else experience this and how do you cope? I really want to try to stay away from meds since I'm trying to conceive! Any input would be appreciated

Re: Derealization/Depersonalizatoin and Panic Disorder?

Hi ya, I think that being as you're trying to stay away from the meds then try and look at your lifestyle first and foremost. Do you exercise? that is a way of increasing your seratonin levels in the brain that is the happy hormone. I know you may not feel lile it but even if it's a dvd workout it's still exercise. Try to aim for at least 3 times a week but ideally 20 mins a day. Do you smoke or drink a lot? Cut down on your caffeine. I drink decaf green tea or camomile tea very relaxing I find. Do you eat regularly and healthily. You need to keep your blood sugar levels regular. I have found these things all help. It's a good starting point. Also see your doc and tell them what you're doing and see if they can refer you for some counselling or C.B.T they may be able to help you.

We experience moments absolutely free from worry. These brief respites are called panic.

I know this probably isnt the answer your looking for but out of interest i conceived both my babies while on 30mg Paroxatine (anti-depressent). I have two perfectly healthy children both who were breast feed also, the doctors never said there would be any side-effects for them and there really wasnt! I hope you can start to feel better, CBT counselling really helped me, just spending an hour a week being talked to positively and having things explained to me helped enormously. Also, accepting the derealsiation at the moment and try and take the fear out of it can help alot, thats harder than it sounds i know, but you will feel better soon......do it for yourself and that beautiful baby in the future!!!! Charlie x x x

Hi, I suffer with this quite often, can be just a quick blip say somewhere new - happened recently in river island changing rooms !! I felt like I didnt know where I was but lasted only a few seconds.
    It can sometimes seem to be with me all day, the way I explain it is as if I haven't woken up properly and am in a sort of dream state.
    It is scary but as any anxiety symptom if you just ignore it and carry on with what you are doing it does seem to fade, or become just part of your life, giving it recognition just makes it stay around for longer.

I also find it is there when I am overtired.

I dont take meds, I have done in the past.

If you don't use relaxation techniques maybe you could get some tapes or join a class, I found it hard at first to do but now its like second nature and I can use it quickly if in a situation where I am scared.

Hope this helps, good look with conceiveing as well !!

Christine xx

hi, yes this symptom is a real pain isnt it? it just doesn tlet up does it? so you cant seem to get yourself to beleive it will go? - but it will, your brain is trying to protect you! so its actually a good thing - it is very very upsetting and uncomfortable but it will go - id also like to have another baby, but no luck just yet take care, emma

hi i can realate to that symptom it was my worses symptom ever absolutely aful i felt unreal and in different surroundings .and like emmas as said its hard to believe it will go but it dos eventualy all the very best and believe me your not alone with that horrid feeling tc xx

Hiya,
    This was my worst and most scariest symptom by far,it is always the first symptom i get and sometimes was enough to get me to run home before i felt anything else,but the more i read up about it and understood exactly what is happening to my body when i experience this,the less it scares me.

Karen

Keep your heart open to dreams,
    For as long as there's a dream,
    There is hope,
    And as long as there's hope,
    There is joy in living.

hey there

i have depersonalization often when i panic. (usually the first sign of an onset to a PA for me)

what helps me when i feel that "impending doom" feeling in the pit of my stomach, i try to remember the ONE THOUSAND other times i have lived through it, and that this time is not any different. (i know its hard when its happening in the moment :( )

ive been suffering from this crap for almost two years now, and have never taken a med, and im starting to feel very good again! just remember that tid bit of advice i gave above, and the symptoms wont last as long, or be as intense.

wish you the best!

I had that awful symptom for just over 2 years. I didnt take any medication and eventually it faded and went. I just kept myself busy and tried not to dwell on it (very hard i know).

Take Care
    Joanna.

Quote Originally Posted by rach**** View Post
    Hi ya, I think that being as you're trying to stay away from the meds then try and look at your lifestyle first and foremost. Do you exercise? that is a way of increasing your seratonin levels in the brain that is the happy hormone. I know you may not feel lile it but even if it's a dvd workout it's still exercise. Try to aim for at least 3 times a week but ideally 20 mins a day. Do you smoke or drink a lot? Cut down on your caffeine. I drink decaf green tea or camomile tea very relaxing I find. Do you eat regularly and healthily. You need to keep your blood sugar levels regular. I have found these things all help. It's a good starting point. Also see your doc and tell them what you're doing and see if they can refer you for some counselling or C.B.T they may be able to help you.
    Thanks Rach
    Yes I do watch my caffeince in take I journal to relive stress as well. I eat healthy foods on a regular basis and I don't smoke and occasionally drink at a social get together. I see a clinical psychologist on a regular basis for CBT But I'm still finding that I'm anxious all the time! As far as exercise goes I ride my bike up and down the lane I live on? does that count? lol Thanks again! Hugs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information