Thread: Front Neck Tension

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Front Neck Tension

I have read many of the posts regarding neck tension but I still have a couple of questions regarding my particular situation and hope that some of you could help.

I do not have a lot of pain. I have tightness in the front part of my neck especially my right front side muscle and in my jaw (near the corners of my jaw). The tension goes right down to my collar bone. The muscles and nerves (whatever they are) right above my collar bone are quite tense and fairly tender.

At times it feels like the front of my neck feels “crowded” when I look down. The tightness comes and goes and sometimes moves around but never totally leaves. I can sometimes stretch it out if I lift my chin all the way up and stretch my neck. My neck feel really tense and irritated if I've exerted myself a bit. If I bend over and look down, I can feel the "weight" of my neck muscles and jaw like they're hanging.

I do hear crackling and popping noises sometimes when I turn my head and fully open my jaw although I have felt that for years, long before any of this other stuff started. For the most part, my neck feels OK when lying down.

By now as many as 4 different doctors have told me that there are no signs of anything “sinister”. I can begin to believe that this is due to anxiety and the stress I put myself under because I worked myself up pretty good over the last few weeks. My family doctor told me a about 3 weeks ago (before I started “analyzing”) that it looked viral and could take 4 to 6 weeks.

My front neck muscles, especially my right one, is slightly swollen or enflamed. My mother noticed it right away. Has anyone else had noticeable signs that their neck is tense?

To put the question another way, since the neck is a common target for stress and anxiety, can one stress themselves so much that it would cause a real knot, cramp or inflammation in their neck muscle? I think it is yes, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Can anyone relate?

Your input would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike
    Last edited by MikeH; 27-01-09 at 15:03. Reason: clarification

Thread Information