Thread: Ladies only! Female test result fears

Unhappy Ladies only! Female test result fears

Hi,

Haven't written anything on the forum for over a year now, but am finding myself struggling with my health worries again. I've been having a few lady problems and wondered if anyone has had anything similar. I've been noticing some spotting between my periods (not bright red blood but like the beginning of your period). Sometimes this is accompanied by a swollen, uncomfortable tummy feeling, and sometimes without any other symptoms at all. I've been to the Doctor and he said the most common reason for bleeding between periods is Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, so I booked into the Nurse and had several swabs taken. I have been back today for the results and the Doctor old me that my chlamydia swab came back "indeterminate". This has got me into a bit of a panic!

I recently split up with my fiance of 5 years, during which time I had quite bad health anxiety and took 2 chlamydia tests (amongst every other illness things I was convinced I had at the time), which both came back negative (one at the Doctors and a home kit). I now have a new partner, we have discussed our other partners I asked him to go and get checked for any STI's etc and he happily obliged and had a full screening at a walk in clinic, swabs, urine sample, blood tests etc. This was in November and he was told he would be notified within 2 weeks if anything came back indeterminate or positive, but we heard nothing so I was sure everything was ok.

Now I am trying not to start my health anxiety again. I can't stop worrying that my previous 2 tests were wrong and that I may have had this for years, but then I tell myself that this wouldn't be possible as the syptoms have often lasted a week (like when I first noticed in last August) and didn't come back til December (so surely symptoms for infections do not just go away and come back several months later?). If this is the case I'm worrying what the bleeding may be caused by. I last had a smear in August, when I had spotting and discomfort for about a week (sorry for the grizzly details but it is either a pinkish or brownish discharge, like the end/beginning of a normal period). I bled when I had a smear test (when the nurse touched my cervix, which she said can be common), and bled for a few days later, so maybe I have a sensitive cervix! I don't know, I'm beginning to drive myself crazy and can't concentrate on work.

I'm going to have swabs retaken on Monday afternoon and just wondered if anyone had any advice so I can keep calm over the weekend. I've been doing so well with my anxiety lately, that I don't want to let it win and take control of my everyday life again!!!

Thankyou as always

Rachael x

Re: Ladies only! Female test result fears

It's always horrible having to wait for test results. Can you do something over the weekend which will distract you from your thoughts?

It will all turn out OK, so don't worry!

Your test wasn't positive so hopefully the next one will be negative. It is possible that they just didn't get enough cells to give a def diagnosis - this can happen in smear tests and you get a recall which panics all of us with HA!

You don't say what age you are??? I started with weird bleeding in my mid 30's that lasted a couple of years and after all the tests they said it was hormonal - then okay for about 6 years and now I am 47 yrs old and last 2 years have been interesting in the womens dept to say the least - again after all the horrible tests I was told its just the perimenopause in other words wonky hormones. Who'd be a woman

hi, last yr i suffered with spotting and also burning and bleeding after sex (sory) and also bled after my smear, i was convinced i had cervical cancer or something, after sti tests and two smears it came back just an infection pls dnt worry x

Thankyou for all your replies, this website is a godsend and it's great to know I'm not alone! Great advice from you all, I'm going to focus on decorating this weekend to try and keep my mind focused on something else!

HI
    Are you taking any oral contraceptive? I recently was put on a new mini pill and i had this type of bleeding on and off all the time and the doctor said that it was a side affect of the pill.

Thread Information