Thread: Sudden Loud Noise

Sudden Loud Noise

Does anyone else get panic attacks triggered by sudden loud noise? My 10 yo is in his room at the moment shooting stones at a tin cake tin lid with a sling shot that he made and everytime I hear a stone hit that lid, I jump out of my skin and my heart starts racing even though I know that he is doing this and I am expecting to hear the noises. I'm doing my best to try and relax so I don't get a full blown attack but this isn't easy!

Re: Sudden Loud Noise

Hi...

I completely understand what you mean...I am constantly on edge and get startled quickly.

I refer to this as my "Shaky Nerves"

Hope your feeling a bit better~

Re: Sudden Loud Noise

This sounds like over-sensitization.I have a Dr Clare Weekes book called"Self Help For Your Nerves"and this is described in detail in the book.When one suffers from panic disorder or depression sometimes the nerves can be trained by the brain to act in a certain way and are what we call it sensitized to feelings of nervousness,jumpiness,irritability etc.The sound your son is making would annoy me greatly,so I am not surprised you feel this way.I have suffered from anxiety a long time and this happens to me a lot at night.If I hear a loud noise outside,or people walk past the house talking loudly or singing I can instantly feel very scared or on edge and I have to get up as my heart races and I can feel quite ill,so do not worry it is just another symptom of this awful anxiety,please do read one of Dr Clare Weekes books though,they are really good and I found it really helpful.

Thread Information