Thread: Working to get better, have a few Q's to ask...

Working to get better, have a few Q's to ask...

So I picked up this book called "Overcoming Anxiety For Dummes" Perhaps you've heard of it, and perhaps you haven't. The book has been pretty helpful. I started writing in a Journal everytime I have an attack, and usually at the end of writing I'm calm. I have a couple of questions regarding breathing.
    I've tried various breathing methods I have read about, but I notice that I get even more dizzy and anxious when I try the breathing method...has this happened to anyone else? if so Why does this happen? How am I doing it wrong? and how can I do it right?
    Another q uestion is, how do I overcome this DP? It has really been bothering as of lately. Thank you all for your time...Please offer the best advice you may know for recovering or at least taking control over this Annoying Anxiety

~Shannon~

Hello shay,

For me I slowly breath in my nose out my mouth concentration on how i can feel air go in and out. Seems to help me.

DP is a very hard one for me too I just try to distract myself sing a song out loud is my favorite.

good luck

Hi Shannon

I have the same problem with the breathing it actually makes me feel worse if I am panicky, I find it best to practise when i Am calm. I find the best for me is the yoga alternate nostril breathing it is a natuaral tranquiliser and 10 mins of that is better than anything you get a lovely feeling of calmness and it doesnt make you dizzy as for the DP thats hard for everyone I had it really bad yesterday but just got on with it in the end not nice I know but I have had it lots of times over the years in anxious spells it just goes when you feel better

Barb xxxxx

How Do You Do The Breathing
    Breathing.. wow
    Breathing Techniques
    CONTROLLED BREATHING

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi Shannon-
    I had tried and tried to be able to breathe from the diaphram and I just couldn't get it. Every time I attempted to do it I would make myself more anxious and get really dizzy. Then I read something that said to try it while you are on all fours cuz it's impossible to chest breathe when you are positioned that way. Believe it or not - it worked. I looked kind of odd with my you-know-what all up in the air but I felt better. [)][^]
    Now I can breathe that way without having to position myself differently. I think it just helped to do it that way first.
    your friend,

Sandy
    (eeyorelover)

If the world didn't suck... we'd all fall off

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I find the best for me is the yoga alternate nostril breathing it is a natuaral tranquiliser and 10 mins of that is better than anything you get a lovely feeling of calmness and it doesnt make you
    Barb xxxxx

<div align="right">Originally posted by Barb - 22 September 2005 : 11:44:15</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Yes I would agree with that - I find that practice very good too.

Diaphramatic breathing does take time to 'get' I know it took me ages.

At school in the kids drama class they are taught by placing one hand on the chest and one on the tummy the only hand to move should be the one on the tummy. Try puffing out your tummy and then trying breathing in as you do.

Keep with it as it really does help!!!

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Hi ya

Sounds silly doesn't it when you think about breathing being an every day thing, but for me it has been the hardest thing to learn to do, breathing naturally!

I used to get really dizzy as well and even more anxious, but I have learnt slow deep breathing, focusing on something like a colour of a picture tends to really help!

It take a while but mastering the art of breathing I think is very hard to do, even though we do it every day it is amazing how bad we actually are at it, especially anxiety sufferers!

Good luck you will get there

sue with 5

scknight

A common problem with breathing, is that people try too hard.

You're told to breathe, diaphragmatic breathing or whatever, but because you're putting some sort of effort into your breathing it becomes very easy to over do it and breathe too much, in which case you can become dizzy. When you breath, take the advice and make an effort to breath from the diaphragm, but try not to control your breathing too much, don't force it.

Others have given good advice on the diaphragmatic breathing. The old Indian yogic tradition of alternate nostril breathing seems a little extreme to me, but hey, it's all good.

If you're interested, I wrote a little on relaxation here:

Relaxation.. Questions?

And there's some mopre thourough advice on meditation, here:

How do you medatate?

As for the depersonalisation. Just keep plodding along with the relaxation, as your general levels of anxiety fall so will the depersonalisation. Besides that, keep making an effort to progress (as I'm sure you are), the depersonlisation will fall with the anxiety.

mico

'Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding Danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.'

Re: Working to get better, have a few Q's to ask...

Hi Shannon,

I actually have read that book too and found it quite helpful. One thing with deep breathing that has kind of helped me has been some aromatherapy. Often lighting a candle or spraying some lavender scent near me while doing deep breathing has helped.

Thread Information