I got Amitriptyline for neck and shoulder pain, My anxiety was really high at the time and the doctor told me to go back to see her the following week about what we were going to do about that. Anyway , literally the very next day after having one amirtrityline ( 10mg ) , I found i wasn't so anxious and it continued in to the next day and the next. When i went back to see the doctor the following week i told her that i was feeling better, she said that didn't surprise her because they do help anxiety. So i continued to take it and it helped both the neck pain and the anxiety. I had no side effects ( 10mg is a small dose ) only a little bit of a dry mouth in the morning only, that was it . I eventually came of them , I do believe it gave me a " breather " from the anxiety and gave me time to recover . I am now of them , I still have my moments with anxiety but nothing like it was before . That was my experience with them and i had a kind of pill phobia at the time but i was in so much pain i had to do something, Best thing i ever did and like i said 10mg is not a high dose , the side effects are really aimed at long term on a much higher dose . You should give them and try , see what happens .... you may even be surprised ..... Good luck love Paige x