Thread: Aching left arm, please help!

Unhappy Aching left arm, please help!

Hi Everyone,

Last saturday my mum got rushed to hospital with sudden excruciating pain in her upper left arm which she thought was a heart attack, after ECG's and blood pressure checks they found it wasnt her heart. The hospital also did blood tests and x-rays which all came back clear they then recommended she go to her GP and organise a bone scan because she has a history of cancer.

She has since been taking painkillers and anti-inflammatorys and on wednesday the pain completely disappeared until late thursday afternoon and it has been there ever since (although not as bad). It was really bad on friday night and lastnight it kept her up again she has been saying it mostly hurts just when she moves it but it feels quite tender. Also about 3 weeks ago she had her Inhibin blood tests done for the ovarian cancer she had 4 years ago and they were all clear.

She knows she hasnt hurt it in anyway it just started as a sudden pain and in hospital she couldnt even move it she was in that much pain. Right now im terrified it is some sort of bone tumor I cant sleep for the worry and have been getting really bad headaches. I have health anxiety anyway so this is just making it worse, she is waiting to hear back from her GP to see whether she needs a scan. So for the long post I just dont know what to do, has anyone ever had the same sort of thing?

Thanks Lorna x

Re: Aching left arm, please help!

Well, the symptoms described would not be characteristic of cancer. Pain is typically experienced in the latter stages and it is gradual with no remission as opposed to acute onset followed by variations of intermittent relief.

Her symptoms and progression sound more like vasospasm of the median nerve, sometimes termed Causalgia. The pain can be quite severe, feels deep within the arm and typically has a very acute onset. The affected arm can feel extremely painful to the touch and weakness, stiffness or even both can also occur as well. There can even be a change in skin color and patients report residual pain to be in the context of burning, itching or pins & needles.

While this type of phenomenon is usually observed subsequent to trauma that causes nerve damage, it can also occur ideopathically, meaning that the cause is sometimes unknown.

Again, the symptoms described would be inconsistent with cancer.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Re: Aching left arm, please help!

Thank you so much for your reply it has really put my mind at rest. Given her history its a
    really worrying time especially as we have no clue what it might be, thanks again

Thread Information