Thread: Breathing to avoid being sick

Breathing to avoid being sick

Hello,

When my boyfriend had a bad panic attack the other day he kept hyperventilating because he said he would be sick if he didn't "breathe like this". He was sick as well.

Is this usual during a panic attack? What should I do to help him? Should I try and slow his breathing down, even if it makes him retch? I'm really not sure what is best in case he has it happen again. Any ideas/recommendations?

Thanks for reading,
    Laura x

Laure it is horrible when you start to hyperventilate. Best thing when i was like that was someone to talk to me take my mind of it. I feel for him and i do know how he feels and think you are doing a gret job supporting him how you do.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

pink...
    I suffer from panic attacks myself and I can tell you that if I hyperventilate it gets worse. If it is at that point for him, he needs to calm down. I use an inhaler, that is used for asthams (I don't have asthma), but it opens my bronchial tubes which help me relax physically, but if his attacks are that bad he may need to take a preventative drug. Has he been diagnosed? Does he see any professionals? Does he uses medication? Does he receieve any therapy?
    My advice would be to do the best you can at getting hom to slow his breathing, and to relax. Hyperventilating only increases your breathing. Try to aide in coaching him to slow his breating down, and do it with him. Stay close to him if you know that will help...but some people in that state like their space, so it is important to know how to be there for him. BE CALM...don't panic yourself.
    Myself, I have found that sometimes I don't want my bf with me at all if I am having an attack, and other times I like him with me...usually I want to be alone...but we are all different.
    But, I can say this...to come on here and express your concern for your bf, is awesome....and it is nice to see that you are trying to be understanding and trying to look for help too.
    I hope this has been helpful.

Breathing control is key

How Do You Do The Breathing
    Breathing.. wow
    Breathing Techniques
    CONTROLLED BREATHING
    Working to get better, have a few Q's to ask...
    Insatiable Mouth / Chest Breather????

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Has he been diagnosed? Does he see any professionals? Does he uses medication? Does he receieve any therapy?

<div align="right">Originally posted by blondeangel - 28 February 2006 : 02:21:38</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    He gets free counselling at Uni, has had 2 sessions so far. He has also seen the doctor and just started on an anti-depressant pill.

Thanks for your support everyone by the way.

just a question to ask..
    why is he on an anti-depressant if he gets panic attacks?
    Does he get both?
    That would explian that.
    But even still, medications work different for different people.
    I am also glad to hear that he is getting some kind of therapy...and you sound very supportive, which is important.
    Just try to do the best you can to be his friend...that is very important. He is very lucky to have someone like you that seems to care so much and is worried about him. I have talked to some people who have such little support for their depression/anxiety/panic....and it is very sad. EVEn my bf gets a litttle freaked out when I have my panic attacks..but he tries his best, and I had one today, and I will just say he has been very understanding.
    All in all, I think you will find a lot of information on this board that will be helpful.
    take care of yourself

*just a question to ask..
    why is he on an anti-depressant if he gets panic attacks?*

Several of the antidepressants are also licenced for anxiety and panic and have benefits for this too.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Yup exactly what Meg said. Can't remember what tablet it is he's on, but it is licensed for anxiety attacks as well as depression.

His counsellor is being brilliantly supportive. She's great to me as well because I was the one who initially contacted her for help. It feels good to know that someone is on your side

pink..
    yeh I understand abou the meds because I am taking Paxil, which is supposed to be mainly for depression, which I don't have (but used to 3 years ago). I was just wondering that is all. I was just wondering, maybe I should have made it clearer...if he was taking a medication that is JUST for depression, or a mediation that is for both. My question was not very clear.
    I hope you are doing well, and your bf.

Thread Information