Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me! Im lost!

Help me! Im lost!

Hi Im Jodie, im 17 years old and under the influence of Agoraphobia, which all started from panic attacks.
    Its been getting a little better with a lot of effort, but im still finding it all really difficult to deal with.
    Its so frustrating not being able to do what you want to do and go where you want to go, because the fear is so BIG.
    My doctor has suggested Cognitive Therapy, has anybody been there, done that and got the T-shirt to prove it, kind of thing? Does anybody have any information that they could share with me? please please please!
    I am meant to be going away on holiday in August, and I would really love to go, but thats a big thing to be able to do in the space of 5 months, anyone who has any tips for a successful holiday, please let me know!

Im so glad to have found out about this website, and its amazing to know that in reality, we are actually not alone.
    I look forward to meeting new people
    Love from Jodie xxxx

Hi Jodie,

I have never tried therapy but only meds and hypnotherapy and in time it all seems to iron itself out and you can get on with leading a normal life. I don’t think the doctor will give you antidepressants because of your age but he may well do and that could maybe help with your conditions that along with therapy. The trouble is a lot of people with our conditions don’t like to travel to far a distance for therapy and the waiting list is often very long. I think medication may be able to stabilise your condition until you get therapy.

I hope this helps a little but and your not alone I think we are all a little frustrated with not been able to live a normal life and do the things we want to do. There is many things I have achieved and many more I know I will achieve again hard work and determination is what you need and you made the right decision by posting on here. I have found this website and the people on here to be a great help. If you ever need to ask anything at all no matter how silly feel free to pm me.

Hi Jodie

CBT is very good apparentlyu and I am just in the act of trying to find a local therapist. What started your attacks, do you know or have any idea what may have led up to them.

Johnty

hi jodie,welcome !You have come to the right place!You say that things are a little better,that is fantastic!Dont rush yourself the pressure is no good for your self esteem,As 4 the therapy i have used paul mackenna cd's and they have helped me change the way i think.There ,like you,has been a a small improvement,but to me it is such a huge jump forewards.i am agoraphobic too sweetie,and it can be so life limiting,but every time i do something i haven'y done in ages[i went around a supermarket by myself last week!!!!!!]i am so chuffed and happy, that it appears it is altering the panic-fear-panic cycle!Baby steps are best Jodie,Check the main forum too gives info on different therapies.Be kind and patient with your self and you may get to go on holiday,dont see it a a race,one day at a time then tommorrow aint so scarey.God bless,Mary-Rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Jodie

Welcome to the forum.

You will find lots of help & support on here.

I am currently going to CBT sessions & they are really great. The sessions are giving me my life back slowly but surely. I can certainly recommend them.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
    In & Out Of Your Life
    But Only True Friends
    Will Leave Footprints
    In Your Heart

Hi Jodie,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

I did a CBT course for health anxiety, and would thoroughly recommend it, it helps you to change your way of thinking, a mind over matter sort of thing, it helped me to deal with my health anxieties enormously.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Hi Nigel,

Thankyou for your reply. would you be able to tell me what cbt is please? everybody seems to be mentioning it, i just have not the faintest idea what it is!

Im not going anywhere exotic, just down to Dorset, about 3 hours from where i live, its not as though it is the other side of the world, but it is still really a big deal, and a very scary one come to think of it! Postcard will be in the post the minute i get there!

I never thought of drawing up a plan, but that is something I will definately do, thankyou very much! I will probably start off doing it weekly and see how it goes, it seems more reasonable than to try and plan the next 5 months of my life!

How are you doing? I havnt looked at your profile yet, but thats where Im heading next! must fly, Neighbours is on too! Sad, I know, but being indoors, you have to find some source of entertainment!!
    Thankyou again, love Jodie xxxxx

hey jodie!!!
    welcome to the forum!!! saw your thread and had to reply!!! I was diagnosed as agrophobic at 16, it was also brought on by a panic attack!! I am now 19, still slightly agrophobic but i am no longer completely housebound!! The only meds doctors tend to hand out is antidepressants and i wasnt depressed so they didnt help me!! So i know just how frustarated you r!!! i basically had to help meself and set goals for myself!! its hard but you will get there and i for one am here when you need some help!! maybe I can help you get to the stage i am now at!!! Welcome again!!!
    Ammegxx

Hi Jodie,

A warm welcome aboard.

CBT - take a look here...

Therapy

Some of us are having it at the moment so check out these as we well..

Psychotherapy/ CBT
    CBT Questions

CBT
    Can u treat yourself with CBT at home ??

success CBT
    Maxine's cbt progress.
    CBT
    Starting CBT
    Does CBT work?
    FW: I am getting there!
    CBT therapy for driving problems - my diary

Hope that helps

Nicola

Hi Jodie

Welcome to the forum.

You might find the following information helpful:

First Steps

Symptoms

CBT therapy can be very beneficial and it is good that your doctor has suggested a referral. There is plenty of time between now and your holiday in August to start to challenge your fears.

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information