Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question

A question

Simple question for those who advocate CBT.

I have answered someone's post tonight who is looking at a 7 month wait for CBT.

I have given a couple of suggestions as best as I could but would like to know what you guys would suggest. While waiting for the elusive appt is it advisable to try the online courses that are available..I'm assuming all CBT works the same way?

Thanks.

Re: A question

CBT...........

Been waiting two years for mine.

I'd say the online ones having looked at them are better than waiting two years for it, but thats my own personal opinion.

I also believe if someone who is roombound with agoraphobia who feels that getting to see someone for CBT is too distressing then an online course would be a huge step forward.

di xx

There are reports saying that the problem with the online ones is that it is not a one-on-one interaction (just you and the PC) and a lot of the success with CBT is instant feedback / praise etc.

I found the No Panic telephone recovery course very useful as you talk to "real" people.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks ladies. Have we got a link for the No Panic recovery course?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Dahlia is offline Intermediate Member

Hi Ladybird

There are some good books about too, particularly by Dr David Burns. 'When Panic Attacks' springs to mind, as well as The Feeling Good Handbook.

Also, The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety by John Forsyth.

All can be bought from Amazon.

Dahlia

also the overcomign series are good as they are cbt based- i think the problem with all self help is that you have to be in the right place to be able to do it. If you are really stryggling it is so hard to apply the theory to yourself and that is why its such a shame people have to wait so long for therapy x

Hi for those of you who are saying that you have been waiting years I don't know if this is any help.

I got my referal letter last week and phoned up our NHS Mental Health Authority to make my CBT appointment but was advised that there is a six week wait. Not long considering the waits you have mentioned. I am classed as Level 2 (whatever that means)

Anyway they offered to refer me to AXA ICAS if I wanted to be seen quicker as apparently a government 'initiative' has funded AXA ICAS to provide the same service of CBT but quicker (still paid for by NHS). I was also told that the Mental Health Depts HAVE TO OFFER this alternative appointment method to all patients at first contact.

Guess that was obviously no help to anyone on a long waiting list then

I have recently been added to a waiting list for CBT but in the meantime, my cpn has suggested that I do the online course and to print out and fill in the forms/charts and take them with me to our next meeting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information