Page 12 of 138 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Citalopram side effects?

Re: Citalopram side effects?

Hi. I decided to stop taking citalopram after just 13 days. After speaking to my GP he said it would have been best to reduce slowly which i was very surprised by, considering it was only 13 days. I'm feeling very hot headed despite not having a temperature. I'm thinking maybe this is because i didn't allow my body time to get used to them, or at least hoping that's the reason! I was taking citalopram because of health anxieties. I'm having a blood test in 3 weeks, and as long as that's clear, i know i'll be able to calm down, but until then it's panic all the way.

I was very eager to start on Anti Depressants as I was excited about the ability to feel good again. Dr prescribed Citalopram 20, I had no idea what to expect at the time and didn't understand why I was feeling so awful, I decided then to read the information pack. After a few weeks or so I felt quite good - people at work started to notice a happier or less grumpy person in the office. I did get my mood swings back, but I guess the black moods subsided. After almost 2 years I have just come off the medication. I reduced it from 20 down to 10. Did have a few side effects such as short temper, a little down etc and at the time I was concerned that may be the way I was prior to taking this medication. Continued to cut down without any problems. I stopped completely almost 2 weeks ago and started to get the known side effects after a week. I also took Migraine tablets, which certainly didn't make things easier as they have an effect on serotonin levels. That only lasted 3 days and felt a lot better for resting. Its been 10 days, I still get the head swooshes in the evening but its definately not crippling. I'm still a little snappy but its the side effects. I guess my main concern was falling into a depression once I weened myself off. Not saying it won't happen but I am so pleased I am off the medication and I don't feel unhappy. Weening was not a big deal as I anticipated. I know how it feels when you just wont to get it over and done with, but if you do decide to go cold turkey, be prepared as you're in for a rude awakening.

i was precribed citalopram today and after reading the booklet and all your comments im quite worried about taking it.
    i rely on being able to drive to my job everyday and im worried if it will effect my driving. do any of you have problems driving?

hi lucy,

nobody can tell how each person will be affected, as for me i had so many side effects i couldnt leave my bed for 3 days. iam on week 3 20mg. my advice would be not to start today but on friday night. start with half dose 5 or 10mg. eat well and drink water.

hope it helps,

you will yourself realise if you can drive or not.
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Newsman View Post
    "Am a lawyer, simply cannot live like this, am thinking of cold turkey...newsman, did you do that? What happened to you in the cold turkey? Don't mind some side effects, just need to get myself back..."

I am a Journalist and a 30 year PR Consultant - both careers swilling in booze. What did I do? I JUST STOPPED. Do what your mother told you: Pull yourself together! Get out into the sunshine. I'm on your side.

newsman
    Thats been my motto for years, pull yourself together. It worked too, until recently!

hey, newbie here.

started taking citalopram 4 days ago (10mg for 6 days then 20mg there after)

had bad headache for a couple of days and a dry mouth which were very bearable. felt v anxious today but rode it out.

To anyone who is worried about starting their meds, the odds on you actually suffering a serious side effect that cant be rode out is V.LOW.

Give them a go, if they dont work or you cant "stomach" them, come off them (slowly if need be). thats what im doing anyway.

all the best

Been on 20mg for 2 weeks now and all the side effects have now dissapeared glad I stuck with it because the side effects were horrible at first. Finally starting to feel a bit more normal again. I hope eveyone who is having nasty side effects too start to feel better soon

Hi, I have recently been prescribed 20mg Citalopram and after reading some of the posts on here I was really nervous about starting them but I am glad I did. I have been on them for 2 weeks now and have had no side effects which just shows that things are different for every individual. I would say to everyone to try and if you aren't good then see your GP or try and persevere but do note that not everyone will have the bad things from them. Good luck, Jo.

i've been taking it for nearly a week now and i can say that ive had hardly any side affects. its a bit difficult to sleep and i get the occasion stomach cramp and feel sick after eating but iv been taking my tablets at night just before i go to sleep. i think i must be s;eeping throught the side affects but im starting to feel a bit better in myself already.

Hi Lucy

Hang in there cos it takes 12-14 days before they start working and the side effects if any do go away. Did your doctor suggest you take them at night? These tablets are usually taken in the morning.

Best of luck

Andy

Page 12 of 138 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread Information