I am 21 (so I can legally drink). Most of my friends are as well, but they have been drinking/partying since senior year of high school. I am NOT much of a drinker. I will do it once in a while and that's it. My family doesn't really drink either.

To me, its just obnoxious. Im not usually a fan of the screaming or the crazy behavior. I am also not really a night owl and don't like to be up much past 11. I also think that it is totally possible to have fun without being wasted (and after experiencing a hangover I don't want to go there again).

Anyway, it seems that everyone is shocked bt this behavior and love to pressure me to drink. Overall, they make me feel like a worthless loser (for lack of a better term) because I don't like it and I just don't want to do any of it. They like to say that we are young and this is the age to be crazy and reckless and take chances with no regrets......problem is, I would prefer to take a chance on backpacking to the bottom of the grand canyon than get wasted and sleep around every weekend.

I am about 3/4 of the way through a massive spring break trip with several young adults (almost all drinkers) who stay up late and party and all I can think about is how awesome its going to be to get home to my comfy bed and my quiet room.

Is it normal to feel this way? Most of these people have been my friends for years...how can I feel more adequate around them, cut back on the peer pressuring, and preserve the friendships?