Thread: "If I put the box back in the cupboard THAT way, I'll get cancer, so I'll turn it..."

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"If I put the box back in the cupboard THAT way, I'll get cancer, so I'll turn it..."

Okay, this will probably sound crazy, but I need to get my mind off of my certainty of cancer right now and for some reason typing this is helping... Making threads highlighting I guess the irrationality can sometimes help me realize just how I can be so irrational even I can't deny it.

So yes, can anyone relate to these kinds of superstitions? Sometimes I will rectify a behavior of mine, (like putting a cereal box back in facing a specific way), because something in my head will tell me that putting it back as I initially did is "the cancer way", and so I need to "correct" it so as to reduce my risk of cancer.

I've had this with certain songs even.. 10cc "I'm Not In Love" = a "cancer song", and even though I love it, I have had this thing about it where I feel like if I listen to it, it will increase my risk of cancer. I know how hilariously stupid that sounds.

Also with washing certain things, like forks or knives.. I'll clean it just fine, and then I'll think "no this could have illness-causing germs on it still so I'll wash again to make sure.

Anyone else get things like this? Weird compulsions to modify a behavior that obviously bears NO risk WHATSOEVER in your getting the illness you fear, but you do it anyway because "it might", or something?
    Last edited by AthenaFaeyrn; 22-01-15 at 20:00.

Thread Information