Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
Sounds fine in theory but we all know the realities of the 10 minute GP slot-or 5 mins if the appointment falls after a Bank Holiday.

I doubt whether many GPs have read this directive more than once. It's more a question of switching drugs rapidly and failing to be aware of challenging and long-lasting withdrawal symptoms from the powerful drugs they are playing around with.
They probably haven't and those that have are faced with reality; it could be a long wait for therapy and a patient suffering or in their surgery constantly. So, they opt for the pills thinking they are doing the best for the patient and can end up getting it very wrong.

In my area before NICE it was a minimum 12 month wait to get help and pills were all their was. IAPT speeded up therapy but they also act as blockers to adequate therapies for those they can't help.

The government always love creating new lists to make things look better

---------- Post added at 02:18 ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by stumagoo View Post
Thanks Terry, my issues are deep routed going back to my childhood which is probably why CBT was never going to make much difference to me.

My counsellor also wanted me to do a therapy called EMDR, but when I read up on it it was said to be as effective as CBT so I decided not to bother.

It's much cheaper and probably just as effective to buy a CBT self help book and practice the tasks from the book rather than pay for it privately (which is what I did).
I would imagine you will find the same issue with all therapies if you look at success rates some CBT is considered a high one.

EMDR works in a very different way that is still not fully understood. It's always been sold more for trauma since it works at with memory processing, which CBT isn't aimed at.

There is a "Trauma Focused" version of CBT used for PTSD. Maybe that's worth a look too?

Schema Therapy has evidence emerging that it is able to treat Personality Disorders where CBT has failed.

They also use DBT to treat personality disorders because it takes CBT but adds further work to deal with accepting emotions.

Maybe some of those could be appropriate in dealing with more deep rooted issues?