Thread: Undecided about CT head scan. Need advice, please

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Undecided about CT head scan. Need advice, please

Hi all,

Well my doctor has decided to give me a CT scan because I have right sided headaches but he is of the opinion it's tension/psychosomatic. I want the scan because wondering what could be wrong is causing bad panic attacks and I am housebound - if I do go out I tolerate being out instead of enjoying it. When I do go out it's mostly to doctors appointments. The GP office has become my "safe" place!

My main complaint is the right sided tension pain and sporadic ear pain. But if I press on the muscle directly above my ear, it shoots pain into my pain, so does that mean it is muscular?

I don't want the scan because although it will reassure me, I know that I will obsess about the radiation dose. It's my first CT scan in my life, I am 28. I also know I will focus on other health issues ie skin cancer from mole checking, chest issues, blood clots, MS like I have fixated on in the past. I'm scared I am seeking reassurance through a harmful avenue that wasn't really necessary.

I don't know what to do. I have the pains but I don't have other tumour red flags. But not knowing what it is is creating so much anxiety that I am hardly functioning. I'm terrified something is in there and about to kill me suddenly. I feel like I need to get the test or I won't stop obsessing about what if. Has anyone been in this boat?
    Last edited by Ditapage; 23-08-15 at 05:17.

Thread Information