Thread: SAMe for depression

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: SAMe for depression

I've seen ratios for 3-6 but I thought it was 1:1 or 1:2? I've seen one 1:3. Have I got those the wrong way around? I likely get a fair bit of 6 and this concerns me as well for my asthma with that being an inflammatory condition but there are safe limits on 3's as well so I'll have to see if I can go up to that. I also need to read the article I posted in Oosh's thread again to check on the DHA & GLA impacts.

I didn't know that about Chia, I thought it was the other way around. Flax are cheaper aren't they? Chia seemed to be the new in thing. Pricey though. You can get flaxseed oil as well, can't you?

Have you looked at hemp? Usually it's seeds but you can get (or make your own) hemp oil. In my local supermarket they have Hemp milk and there won't be any EPA/DHA in that but I know it's got a low SDA value so I suspect the rest if the dose is ALA. It's reasonably priced like but milk so maybe an alternative?

Glutamine is one I'm unsure about. I know it can be used to create glutamate and too much of this will be a bad thing, especially for anxiety, but maybe it would be useful in depression? I know they are working on meds that hit that neurotransmitter so maybe there is some research out there for them that offers some hints? NoPoet has a new meds thread where several are mentioned and I think they were in the vein of SNRI's in that it would be perhaps HRI or HSNRI, HDSNR, etc? With OCD this is tricky for me as some supplements that are emerging to help with OCD (some have shown 40% effectiveness for related spectrum disorders) that work on reducing certain glutamate rich areas. But glutamine is used for muscle energy (hence thinking about depression & brain energy) in great quantities so in any protein powder or weight gainer. I guess it's going to be another one of those you try and then hit a ceiling with where it becomes too stimulating.

On the subject of brain energy, L-Carnitine is one I've seen mentioned. That works all over as well though so perhaps the same issue unless you load it with a carrier?

I've not looked at Glycine much myself. It's another major one in protein powders so it will be used throughout the body and I seem to recall it has competition with some other neurotransmitters. It does seem to be a popular chelate with magnesium...and it's cheap!

Transdermal magnesium won't go anywhere near your digestive system, it's purely absorbed through the skin which is much better anyway. I'm not sure on the fat, so one for a Google I think. It may be the type of fat as well as they all have their different impacts on other substances and some are carriers.

How much D3 do you take? I know this one will be very important to you and I expect you have researched it a lot. I was looking at my cod liver oil and it only has 400UI which I believe is really low. Part of my problem is lack of sunshine with my sleep issues and I noticed I felt more tired when I started seeing the sleep schedule slip. Part of this may be an effect by my meds as well but it won't be helping. I'm thinking of getting some of these to help me with this issue as I have fatigue a lot but I was reading about it and how the RDA's are considered too low. The upper limit seemed to be where the supplements end (10,000UI?) but I saw someone talking about how once you hit 10,000UI you needs to add in K2 or you are making things worse as it can cause calcium to leech from your bones. I've also read that it's more around the 8,000UI level you need to even increase your blood plasma levels to make a positive shift if you are low. (I was a bit shocked to read that doctor's use D2 in their prescriptions which is a far inferior version!)

Interesting one for you on antioxidants here:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...pplements.aspx

That ties in with your ALA. It looks like supplementation isn't easy with this but it's more about precursor material, synthesis supplements and inhibitory supplements. It's interesting. I only came across that because I was looking at NAC, which is coming along in med trials for OCD sprectrum disorders. NAC converts to it.

Do you know anything about NAC? It says it's one to be monitored by a doctor on if you have asthma but it's used to treat various lung disorders and there are testimonials by asthma sufferers. This might be a boon to me as my current med feels too activating.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 01-09-15 at 05:04.

Thread Information