Yesterday I went to pass gas, but it was actually mucus with gas. It happened once and then I appeared to pass normally.

Today I defecated with a small amount of formed stool and a medium amount of mucus, then later on I defecated again with more formed stool and a little less mucus mixed in.

I've had the IBS diagnosis since I was 12 or so - nearly 20 years.

I have a theory, but would like to see whether or not people agree.

My theory: I dislike bowel movements so take a number of constipating medications, this includes codeine/paracetamol, Mebeverine, and Imodium. I think that I have taken too many of these medications which has resulted in harder-to-shift stool, resulting in my bowel producing extra mucus in order to lubricate the passage.

Does any of the above sound reasonable? I generally find some mucus in stool, but have not produced mucus on its own (as far as I remember).

The mucus-like substance is, I'm almost certain, mucus. It's sticky without much smell and orange-clear in colour. The stool is a normal brown colour.

Sorry for the level of information, but my anxiety is in overdrive. I've taken a whole diazepam to try and calm down (something I don't often do).