My anxiety is severe but it never gets to the point of a panic attack. I get many of the symptoms- like a racing heartbeat and laboured breathing, as well as shaky and restless, but I never have the type of attack that completely grips me. I feel like what stops me is my fear of being embarrassed in public. I've had panic attacks after a situation, where there are no people, but never around people. For example the other week I ran to the toilets after a particularly horrible day, (I hadn't slept at all in the night, and my lecturer criticised my work which I was very proud of at the time) and I burst into tears, was shaking, found it hard to breath etc etc.

My question is, is this enough to be prescribed clonazepam? Or something similar? These things happen all the time. My mind is racing with thoughts, my stomach turns I shake and I often miss uni and work because of it. I feel like if I had something that would calm me down, I might be able to have more of a life without this paralysing fear of just everything.

I am on citalopram may I add. It doesn't seem to do a thing, and have been on it for 6 months.

Thanks!