Hi,

my anxiety has heightened recently. I hadn't realised because it's not reflected in my thinking. But it suddenly struck me one day that I have a lot of my former physical symptoms (plus spiky BP which they are going to monitor, but I'm trying not to worry about that! lol)

My question is, can CBT help when there are no [conscious] anxious thoughts to take control of? I've got pretty good at self-talk and dealing with panic (doesn't happen very often any more) but this I guess is more 'generalised' anxiety. However, it's not fixed on anything. No catastrophic thoughts or fears that I'm aware of (I assume they are lurking somewhere!). I suspect it is a response to all the sad things around but on the whole I'm pretty chirpy.

I did talk to the Practice Nurse and mentioned about having had a little time on Prozac in the past. I'd be prepared to go on it again if I needed. If my BP proved bad enough to be on meds, would it be better to treat that directly or to medicate the underlying anxiety which I suspect is probably the cause?

Any time I've had counselling in the past, there have been issues I am aware of. This is a little different. I'd be grateful for any insight people have.

Thanks!