OK, this sounds silly, but when I was a teenager, I could never get the tire pressure gauge to work. I could never get it to seat on the valve properly, and would end up letting lots of air leak out of the tire while never getting a reading. Consequently, I've always had to rely on other people to check my tires and add air if needed. I was afraid if I tried, I'd go from a low tire to a completely flat tire.

Well, I had a crisis today because it is a Saturday, one of my tires looked pretty low, and all the tire shops had closed for the day by the time I noticed. I really did not want to go to my brother in law and admit that as a grown adult, I still cannot use the tire gauge and air compressor myself. My Dad was a mechanic, this is flat out embarrassing.

So I gathered my resolve, drove to the auto parts store, and got a newfangled digital tire gauge. Then I went to a gas station with a free air compressor, which was something I had never used. And I did it! I got the tire pressure (17 when it should have been 33) without flattening my tire, and added air with the compressor. Like an actual adult! I did not embarrass myself, or blow anything up, or simply fail.