Quote Originally Posted by Deepseathree View Post
Just to add to the original sticky. If it’s an anaimal that you’re familiar with or that you see often, after ten days of your worrying about possibly rabies transmission that animal is still alive, it never had rabies.

For example- You have a wild cat around the house and you feed it or pet it. Say it scratches you(not a possible way for transmission by the way. Or awfully very rare, though it doesn’t stop the worry). If you still see that animal after ten days alive, it doesn’t have rabies. The animal could have rabies, but it’s only transmitted during the time of presenting symptoms.

Lots of times with animals caught by animal catchers(cats and dogs) there is a waiting period they keep them caged(10 days) if they are alive after that the animal is fine.
This is actually my strongest defense point ahahah but yeah, in domestic animals its observed that 10 days quarantine is a safe way to determine whether the animal has it or not. I haven't found any info against this yet and I've been digging the net for 1 week now (bad choice but a cat scratched me and I am afraid as hell) but generally even when rabies is suspected in my country back in 2013 they quarantined the cats for 10-15 days (and they were fine).
This cannot be done with wild animals however because there's no sufficient data on it.