Most of us in the UK are probably at a point of irritation right now as to the lack of information about this coming from our government. Personally, I don’t believe they know what to do and this is why they are refraining from having the discussion right now.

So, what are people’s thoughts on this? Do we ease gradually? Just go for broke and try to quickly achieve herd immunity? Go in and out of lockdown until a vaccine is found and distributed?

Personally, I think herd immunity is a no go. 60% of our population must become infected to achieve this, we don’t have enough evidence to suggest that natural immunity lasts for a significant enough period of time to halt transmission even if 60% do become infected.

I fully believe we have to break the UK into sections right now. Places like London and the midlands that have been hit hard should be zoned in on with a first wave of testing and contact tracing. Get transmission under control in these areas then gradually migrate testing and contact tracing to other cities that are less affected and work your way to remote areas eventually.

This would mean that lockdowns could be lifted one by one, rather than just opening the floodgates back up countrywide and starting over again. Testing should be done by designated teams visiting homes. This lessens the risk of transmission by not having folk entering medical settings.

I don’t know, I just don’t see this discussion from our government right now, so has anyone got any other ideas?