Thread: Asymmetric abdomen

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Asymmetric abdomen

I'll preface this by saying I'm really skinny (I'm normally 5'10" 135 pounds, and I've probably lost 10 in the last few months thanks to social distancing and not eating as much).

About 2 years ago, I remember feeling really bloated after a meal to the point where I felt like I was going to burst. I started worrying that it was ascites from some sort of cancer. Eventually, that concern evolved into me noticing my abdomen was asymmetric - the area in my lower right umbilical region (diagonally downward part from belly button) stuck out more than the corresponding left side.

I worried about this on and off over the last couple of years.

Recently, I was sitting on the toilet and noticed that further down my abdomen, about half way between my belly button and groin (in my right hypogastric region), there's a vein bulging out, and to the left of that vein is a horizontal bump/bulge protruding slightly. It's thin and horizontal. This seems to be the main thing causing the feeling that that part of my abdomen as asymmetric as well, lifting up the area on the right (again, nothing corresponding to this on the left side).

Now, I had a colonoscopy a little over 10 years ago and that came back clear (this was for rectal bleeding...they only found internal hemmorhoids), but I know that not only are those things imperfect, and doctors can miss things, but it's also possible it's a small bowel tumor, which isn't examined via colonoscopy.

And if that weren't bad enough, I discovered today that "visible peristalsis" (when you can see your abdomen moving during digestion) is almost pathognomonic for obstruction. I think I have been having that over the past couple years...although it's difficult to tell because I can see my pulse in my umbilical region, and combined with breathing, it's hard to tell what movements might be from that, rather than visible peristalsis.

I did see references to visible peristalsis being possible for hernias (though this doesn't seem to be a location where you can get a hernia), and also that it can sometimes be seen in thin people, but taken with the other signs, I don't see how this isn't cancer.

I just ate a couple hours ago and that area is now bulging out more than usual.
    Last edited by ConstantWorrying; 07-07-20 at 06:04.

Thread Information