First time poster. Just a quick background on me - I have pretty bad health anxiety and I've had it all my life. Found out I got it from my father. Guess it's a genetic thing Every time I have been afraid that I had something terrible it never turned out true. That should be enough for me to realize that I am spiraling again here but, well, I think we all know how health anxiety works. You always think "THIS" time I really have it!

So I wanted to know your thoughts or if you've had any similar experiences to mine. Back in August this year I had a really bad canker sore. REALLY bad. Whenever food or something would aggravate it it would start throbbing and the whole side of my mouth would twitch. I remember thinking to myself "wow, this one is really bad." I've never had one hurt so much. Fast forward to now and I have a weird white mark where it used to be (or at least, where I think it used to be... I cannot remember if that was the exact location or not, unfortunately). It looks like healed tissue, but I've never had that happen before. Where it's kind of concave and white? I really don't know how to describe it other than that.

I asked my dentist about it and first he couldn't even see it. And then when I pointed it out to him he did see it but didn't seem concerned at all. I asked him what he thought it might be and he didn't have an answer. I didn't think canker sores could..."scar"? If that's even what this was? I should have taken comfort from this, especially since last time I pointed out an issue to him he immediately referred me to someone else "just to be safe". For this, he had no concerns whatsoever.

Well I stopped worrying over it for a while...but then as I was eating I noticed it was hurting. Like it felt weird, like extra sensitive or something. I thought I might as well get a second opinion by another dentist and again, he didn't notice it at first. When I pointed it out to him he saw what I was talking about and also couldn't say what it was. He thought maybe the tissue just healed weird or something. I asked him if he thought it might oral cancer and he shook his head. He was very doubtful. But he said I could be referred for a biopsy if I was worried. So I made an appt and that is next week.

I did a bad thing and read online about people who had dentists tell them the same thing and then it ended up being bad...I know that's stupid for people like us. I know getting 2 professional's opinions and both of them not being worried is a good sign but I guess you just never know. I figured getting a biopsy would finally give me peace of mind.... ((except until you read about people who had biopsies that came back negative and they turned out to have cancer. I cant win!!!!!!!))

What are your thoughts? Has anyone experienced anything like this before? It's just SO weird because there is literally nothing online that resembles anything close to what i'm seeing in my mouth so I dont know what to think. Thanks for reading this.