So I had my smear test last November which gave the result of HPV positive and borderline abnormal cells. I was then sent to a colposcopy in Jan which they did a biopsy and concluded it was now CIN1. I was told to follow up with yearly smears.

I got a letter from the NHS invite service at the beginning of October telling me to I’m due for a smear test but today I went to the GP and the nurse said it was too early. On the letter from the hospital to the GP themselves it states to get it in 12 months, but now I’m confused whether it means 12 months from the last smear or 12 months from the colposcopy?
I called the colposcopy unit who said it’s likely from the smear test date which would be in November again. But I wanna be sure so they don’t just throw away my specimen which means I’d have to wait and repeat it again.

Can anyone who has experience with getting a yearly smear after a colposcopy maybe help advise me on whether it’s one year from the prior smear or a year from the colposcopy?? Thanks if you can help me!