I think I've been living with OCD for about 12 years, and today I finally told a doctor. I kept meaning to for several years, but I felt like I was managing it on my own. But last week I started having obsessive thoughts and worries which led to my usual obsessive actions. I just got to the point where I knew this was all a bit rediculous, and kept asking myself how could such irrational thoughts make me so upset? I called a mental health emergency line which at least calmed me down enough so that I could sleep. Actually talking about it with someone outside my family was really difficult. I'm pretty sure my mom knows I'm OCD and is sympathetic and so is my boyfiend.

Anyways, I spoke with a doctor today. He recommended an anti-depressent and psycho-therapy combination. He prescribed citalopram. I was okay with the psycho-therapy, but I'm a little wary of the citalopram. Both my mom and little sister take this, and I know it really really helps them with their depression. I haven't been able to find anything on the web that suggests that it may be helpful with OCD. Has anyone else been perscribed citalopram for OCD?

I think I will wait until I have an appointment with the psycho-therapist. I'm also worried because they're 20mg and after checking the citalopram forum here at No More Panic, it sounds like that is a high dose to start out with. I would like to talk to the psycho-therapist about it first because if it is possible to address my OCD problems without the use of drugs, that might be best. The side-effects sound bad, and with school I can't afford to loose time because of drug problems.

So I guess I would like to know if anyone takes drugs specifically for OCD? was it citalopram? Is it or has it helped?