Thread: I have come up with a theory for my constant physical symptoms and panic-FEAR OF FEAR

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have come up with a theory for my constant physical symptoms and panic-FEAR OF FEAR

Yesterday I found the website panicend.com and felt my self welling up as I read the words. There was nothing wrong with me-I just have a fear of my own panic and anxiety. I didn't realise until now that ever since a bad panic attack 2 years ago whilst driving when I called an ambulance and felt like I had gone insane. Ever since then I have had mild symptoms of panic every day despite making changes in my life and wondered why I was still feeling anxious everyday despite fighting off panic attacks.

I have now put it down to my fear of panic attacks-despite not having many since my first few. Since finding these words 'without the fear of them panic attacks can't exist' I have been trying to actively bring on a panic attack and 'take off the boxing gloves' as it were. I so far have found this very hard to do but I am trying. The advice Jeff gives on panicend.com is to try and make the panic worse and MEAN it (something I am struggling with)! This is due to the fact that I am still scared/fearful of all the sensations I have when I panic (especially the feeling I am going insane and going to lose control).

Has anybody else just gone into a panic attack and not feared it at all? Said sod it and realised there is infact nothing to fear but fear itself?

On the motorway today I had a mini one and at one point it was really overwhelming (band round head, depersonalisation) but after about 10 minutes it passed I think all my thoughts about panic over the last few days is bringing them on. I just don't know whether to carry on with this method or to try what I have always done-fight my anxiety. It seems the first method will work best and stop my constant worry about panic.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    Last edited by Thistooshallpass; 11-11-10 at 20:28.

Thread Information