I have very extreme social anxiety and agoraphobia.

To give some examples of how bad it is- I haven't been into a shop in six years. The last person I spoke to face to face except my partner was 6 months ago. Taking my dogs into the garden for a pee several times a day causes me enormous anxiety. Just being in the garden alone makes me hyperventilate and if a car or person goes by I totally panic and drag
the dog indoors. I feel total relief once I have taken them out, knowing I can relax for a couple of hours before I have
to face the garden again.

I have had psychotherapy, CBT and hypnotherapy in the past. The CBT was free but I had to pay for the other two treatments. I made some headway but went backwards again after the treatment. I cannot afford any more private treatment and it has been years since I had any. I also had a complete mental breakdown in 2003 and was hospitalised. Since then I have had to take anti-psychotics daily. I have been completely well on that front for the last 8 years.

I live a very sheltered existance. I guess you could say I am a hermit. My partner takes care of buying food and collects my meds for me. I need glasses for distance but can't force myself to go to the opticians. I did force myself to go to the dentist 3 times last year and I went to the doctors about a year ago too. I couldn't manage to sit in the waiting room. My partner waited in there and called me from the car when it was my turn.

My doctor asked if I was on any benefits and when I said I wasn't he said I should apply for disability benefit. (The CBT lady I had in 2005 told me I should apply too.) I admitted that what stops me is the fear of going to the benefit office which I imagine will be crowded and he said he would be happy to give me a vallium tablet for the day, so I could get there.

We live solely on my partner's wage. Because of the recession it is getting harder and harder to manage and I feel I ought to try to apply for benefits. Just thinking about being quizzed in a public place makes my stomach churn and my legs go week. I really fear being judged. I am scared they won't believe me and scared I will have to go through all sorts
of psychiactric evaluations, each involving another trip to a busy place. But I really feel I ought to try to help us finacially. Things have been so bad we had our electricity cut off for 3 days a few months back.

I was wondering if any of you have applied for benefits on the basis of social anxiety and agoraphobia and what the evaluations were like. Do you have to be continuously assessed in the future or is it a one off thing? Can anybody give me any advice? I am scared to start this ball rolling because I know how terrified I get when I have an appointment anywhere. Any encouragement would be very much appreciated.