Hi.

On Monday of next week, I am scheduled to go into hospital for oral surgery. I am having lots of teeth out and having the first phase in the procedure for dental implants. I am going to be staying in for one night.

I have so many fears! My main problem is that I have emetophobia. I'm terrified of feeling sick (or..worse) after the aneasthetic, although I do feel that this will be sorted out with extra anti emetics. I've had an hour long consultation with the Sister in charge of the Pre Op Assessment Clinic yesterday and she has requested my notes from a previous surgery where I wasn't unwell afterwards, so hopefully, if they give me the same 'coctail' this time around, it should be OK. Says she, rather hopefully.

But help.

How am I going to cope, on a ward, with other people?? I know they'll be giving me extra anti emetic drugs but they'll not be giving extra's to everyone around me and I've got to stay there all night and I'll not be able to get up and run away if I hear anything...you know. I've asked repeatedly and desperately for a side room but they just don't have enough of them to go around - and I do understand that they are needed for very ill patients etc but...I just don't know how I am going to be able to deal with this situation.

I'm going to buy a personal stereo with good ear phones so that I can have them on and press PLAY if necessary - very loudly but just the thought of doing all this on Monday is wearing me out.

I'm the worlds worst hospital visitor due to my phobia, so being a patient is just...well, it's off the scale.

:(