Hi everyone,
Just thought I would share my amazing achievement with you.
I am agoraphobic with panic attacks and just going to the local shop is quite an ordeal for me. I have had a dental phobia for years, and have been avoiding it like the plague. Last time I had an appointment I didn't sleep for days before hand and got myself into a total state and ended up too ill to go. So I asked my Dad to book a secret appointment for me and just turn up when I was due to go......... and that day was today. When Dad turned up he just said 'todays the day' and I froze in panic. But I got myself dressed, cleaned my teeth and went. There was a delay so I spent 20 minutes pacing up and down in the car park, but eventually it was my turn. I told the dentist how terrified I was and he said he would just check my teeth today. He poked around and said everything was ok. He then wanted to clean my teeth and I asked if there was any way of doing it without the water hose thing because it makes me feel like I can't breathe but he said it was the best way. So I took a deep breath and went for it. I raised my hand twice just so he would stop for me to swallow, and it was fine. I was very anxious but I coped. He finished off with a polish using orange flavoured toothpaste! And that was it!!! I DID IT. I honestly never thought I would be able to face my worst fear but I have, which goes to show you can do anything you put your mind to. I feel like I have won the lottery, and it has given me a much needed confidence boost. And, amazingly, I didn't even take any medication, which was a huge plus!!! And my teeth feel great as well!!!
Believe me, I am a total wimp, and I really can't believe I managed to do this. If you have a phobia, please don't give up hope. It is possible to achieve anything with the right help and support........ and I can't wait to tell my counsellor!
GOOD LUCK TO ANYONE TRYING TO OVERCOME A FEAR OR PHOBIA.
YOU REALLY CAN DO IT!!!